Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused

9 years 9 months ago #46571 by carls
Replied by carls on topic Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused
Hi HudsonGrl

Glad to hear the good news about your friend.

I had my surgery at Princeton Hospital. The M-wash is not part of the protocol when a TURBT is performed, it is at the discretion of the physician (actual protocols are established by the WHO and are strictly followed worldwide exactly the same, I know this from my 6 year old daughter who received chemo for 1 1/2 years!). He does the M-wash (along with BCG) for more severe cases of BC. He felt that my condition was so superficial that it was best to avoid any possible side effects and to just take a "wait and see" approach. Personally I prefer to avoid any chemo like drug in me unless I absolutely need it, which he felt I did not.

With that being said, he did state that if it ever returns he would then do the M-wash during the TURBT.. lets hope that never has to happen.

Glad all is well with you and thanks for sharing information on this site, its always helpful to be informed as best as possible.

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #46562 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused
Yes, great news for him too. He did get the mitomycin wash. May I ask where you had your surgery done? My friend's dad was at Mayo Clinic and my husband was at Northwestern In Chicago. It could be different hospitals follow different protocols with Ta low grade. I am not sure. Maybe someone else on the forum knows the answer to that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carls

9 years 9 months ago #46561 by carls
Hudsongrl

More good news to hear! Did your friend's father get the M-wash?

Thanks for your input!

Carl

9 years 9 months ago #46560 by Hudsongrl
Hello again! My husband had no side effects from the mitomycin wash. My friend's father had the same diagnosis as you and my hubby. Ta Grade 1... and he is also on one year follow ups now. He was diagnosed 3 years ago and is doing well :-)Knock on wood that there are no recurrences for anyone!!

9 years 9 months ago #46559 by carls
Hi Hudsongrl

So great to hear that everything is working out for the best for you guys! I'm feeling more and more positive that this will become a nuisance cancer and I/we will just have to keep on top of it in the years to come. At first it appeared that re-occurrence was a given, but as I find out more I see that many folks do not ever see it again.. I hope we are all like that.

I did not get the M-wash since my uro suggested that it is proven effective for more severe cases of BC and he did not want to subject me to any possible side effects... Sounds like your husband went through it just fine (did he have any side effects?) and its wonderful that he is free and clear to this date.. more power to him!

Thank you so much for your reply, every input does help and is very much appreciated!

Sincerely
Carl

9 years 9 months ago #46557 by Hudsongrl
Carl, my husband had exactly what you had....3 cm low grade tumor. Ta low grade. He had his turbt 19 months ago. Has had check ups every 3 months, then went to 6 months and now we got promoted to once a year. No recurrences so far. His also looked like it was on a stalk.

Our uro who is also an oncologist did not recommend BCG after his surgery, but he did get the mitomycin wash. We keep our fingers crossed things stay good. Best of luck to you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne