Newly with bladder cis

9 years 10 months ago #46315 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly with bladder cis
Warren,

I always look forward to reading what you have to say. Good to see you back and hope the "extras" you talk about disappear!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #46314 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Newly with bladder cis
Great from a cancer standpoint. Otherwise.... If there's a complication, I find it. I had an artificial urethral sphincter installed because the neobladder left me totally incontinent. After 2 months of enjoying the freedom of no devices attached, I'm swollen, in pain, incontinent, and scheduled to have the AUS surgically removed. C'est la vie! I'm cancer-free.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

9 years 10 months ago #46313 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Newly with bladder cis
Warren, it is great to hear from you again. I have often wondered how you were doing, and it sounds like you are doing great.

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

9 years 10 months ago #46309 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Newly with bladder cis
It's good to know you're considering radical cystectomy so that if it comes to that, you won't hold onto your bladder for too long and suffer bad consequences; however, BCG is the treatment of choice because only BCG has been statistically shown to increase long term survival. That being said, after 10 years cancer free, I had 2 recurrences of CIS followed by a recurrence of papillary carcinoma in spite of BCG. I opted for the radical cystectomy before my disease became invasive, and I don't miss my bladder one bit.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

9 years 10 months ago #46278 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Newly with bladder cis
Hang in there, Fhern01,
Doug was diagnosed in 2001 at the age of 44. He is still alive and kicking!!!
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fhern01

9 years 11 months ago #46237 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Newly with bladder cis
Hi, welcome to the site, sorry you have to be here, but you can get a lot of insight from patients that have been down the same road that you are on right now.
I was diagnosed with CIS 2007. Like Sara, I did the BCG protocol and two years of maintenance . So far 6 1/2 years cancer free.
Best advice I received is to get second opinions and learn every thing you can about bladder cancer. (This site is a wealth of information.)

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne