Newly Diagnosed - Large Area

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #45564 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly Diagnosed - Large Area
"Muscularis propria is present and uninvolved", IF I understand doctor speak the path got muscle tissue and it hasn't invaded it, just stage 1? So that is good but, it also sounds like it was just a partial sample. While you also have a URO referral however, I would make sure he sees a lot of bladder cancer cases as so many are prostate first and see little bladder cancer. If you are close to the Houston area I would certainly give MD Anderson a jingle as they have world class docs on BC assuming your medicare HMO is taken. I live in New Braunfels, so they are my backup should I ever need them.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45560 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Newly Diagnosed - Large Area
This , of course, is a very worrisome time but wait and just know that many of us here can help with advise because of our experience.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

10 years 3 months ago #45559 by larryk
Replied by larryk on topic Newly Diagnosed - Large Area
Thanks sara.anne

My path report says, " High grade papillary urothelial carcenoma with invasion of the lamina propria. Muscularis propria is present and uninvolved.

10 years 3 months ago #45556 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newly Diagnosed - Large Area
So sorry that you are here....but glad to meet you! It is hard to wait until the uro appointment, I know.

I am going to play a guessing game here....and I wonder if your diagnosis might not be CIS....carcinoma in situ. It IS high grade, and appears more like a rash than a protuding tumor. IF IT IS CIS, and if it has not spread into other layers of the bladder, it will most likely be treated with BCG.
Please remember that this is just guesswork on my part...I an not a urologist and it is impossible to make a diagnosis from what you have provided!!!

You can read a lot about BCG on this Forum....but it wouldn't be pertinent until you have a definitive diagnosis from the urologist.

I was diagnosed with CIS, had a complete series of BCG, and am now on my fifth year...all clear!!

Best of luck to you, and please keep us informed!

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryk

10 years 3 months ago #45552 by larryk
Newly Diagnosed - Large Area was created by larryk
After a prostate reduction surgery (TURP) I was diagnosed with a large area(30%)on the bottom of my bladder with a high grade cancer. The biopsy of a small area of this tumor showed no muscle involvement, but I am petrified by the size described by my Urologist. I am scheduled to see a Urology-Oncologist on 12/10 as referred to by the Uro that did the TURP. I don't know what to expect from this visit, but it seems to me that the chance of the entire mass being non muscle invasive is low, and that a TURBT cannot possibly remove it all. I don't know what this new doc will recommend. I'm in the dark playing all sorts of scenarios in my head, so any info/encouragement will be appreciated. I am 71 years old in Texas, and on a medicare HMO so my doctor options are limited.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne