Newly diagnosed mother of 5

10 years 2 months ago #45731 by slocapo
Replied by slocapo on topic Newly diagnosed mother of 5
Keep a good chin up… I was bleeding as well for a few months… thought it was menopause… tests for everything to rule things out…. Bladder Cancer! My whole world fell apart! That was May of 2012… I have had 3 surgeries since then. Going in every 3 months… I have had a surgery in May of 2012, May 2013, and Nov 2013 all low grade.. today I had my 2nd of 6 weeks chemo BCG to really try and zap it.. I so hope it works and I hope you will do well too. I have 2 grown boys 29 and 32 and I smoked for many years quit 12 years ago… I stopped dying my hair when I was told I had this...

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB
1-15 Cauterized for clotting
2-15 Removal of Right Kidney and Lymph node
The following user(s) said Thank You: Natashab5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #45638 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Newly diagnosed mother of 5
Hi Natasha, I am with Sara Anne, I wouldn't go to the ctca . But if you google U.S. News best hospitals for cancer you will find Md Anderson scores at number one with a score of 100 out of 100. That is where I would go if I could. Don,t worry about it being to big , hard to figure out , they are used to dealing with out of towners and I am pretty sure they would give you all the help you need. You will probaly get the best peace of mind there . Rocky

10 years 2 months ago #45637 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly diagnosed mother of 5
PS. There are a number of motels that are very close at MD Anderson. One is walkable to most sections. JC Rotary House by Marriott and have had a friend use the local Holiday Inn Express.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #45636 by Alan
I was fortunate to have a great local URO that did everything right thus I didn't have the need to go to MD Anderson. He personally broke the news that my grade was 3 (high grade) after he personally read the path report and the CT scan said "No tumors visible or suspected" to where he personally read it and saw the tiny tumor. What a doc! The bad news is he moved from New Braunfels to Marble Falls with Scott & White-also a well respected cancer hospital/clinic group but, the Dallas UT and MD Anderson from what I can read still are the best on BC>

At MD Anderson Drs. Kamat, Grossman and Denney are all nationally highly respected. I have had friends see Kamat and Grossman and they are very happy with the care. I believe you can self refer at MD Anderson.

Either would at least let you find closer travel than Atlanta and I am sure as well received clinically.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

10 years 2 months ago #45635 by Natashab5
Replied by Natashab5 on topic Newly diagnosed mother of 5
Thanks for your responses! I haven't checked into UT in Dallas but I will. I've heard great things about MD Anderson. May I ask who you saw there? It's such a large hospital and I'd like to go to a good, reputable dr and not waste my time if I'm driving 5 hrs. (I live in the Texarkana area).

I will start researching both places y'all mentioned.

Thanks!!,
Natasha

Diagnosed BC TaNoMo 11-8-13
TURBT11-11-13
01/15/14- negative cysto
07/14 - negative cysto
01/23/15 -new tumor found during routine cysto. Will be having TURBT followed with Mitomycin
02/05/15 TURBT, 3 tumors removed, MMC

10 years 2 months ago #45634 by Alan
I will chime in and ditto Sara Anne's comments about treatment centers. The UT Dallas is well respected and MD Anderson in Houston also, especially for bladder cancer. I live in New Braunfels so MD Anderson is my backup as I got lucky my local URO is excellent. Hopefully your insurance will give you those two options.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Natashab5

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne