New member Need help understanding cytology report

10 years 5 months ago #45488 by Alan
Welcome but, as most of us will say, sorry you are here! I don't check this board maybe 3 times a week or so, thus more will chime in so come back when you can. Also, as none of us are doctors and that cytology report seems to be not much but, your doctor sure can clear that up when you do meet. A cystoscope is a MUST so that is good you have that scheduled. and most of the other tests seem to be ruling out cancer also. 1.5 years of microscopic hematuria is puzzling. All I can say is I know a couple of people that have the same problem and no one can figure out why-so it does happen. Perhaps there is some kind of irritation in the kidneys? I have never heard of neuropathy or sciatica related to bladder cancer. It may be one of those mysteries that is insolvable.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #45487 by peterhask
Hello, I am new to this forum and currently undiagnosed. I am 34 year old non-smoker male. I have had persistent microscopic hematuria for past 1.5 year. My GP initially disregarded this finding. But on my follow up visit a few moths ago, he took it a bit more seriously and put me on 10 days prescription of cipro to see if the blood clears up. After finishing the dose, microscopic blood was still present and there were no signs of infection. So i was sent for kidney & bladder ultrasound followed by abdominal ct scan, all which came back normal. I was then referred to a urologist recently who looked at bun/creatine which was normal too. My urologist said that as part of complete work up I need cystoscopy, urine cytology and nmp22. I am scheduled for cystoscopy in 3 weeks from now. In the meanwhile results from urine cytology and nmp22 are in. nmp22 came back at 2.7 U/mL which is within normal range of < 6 U/mL. Urine cytology report is rather unclear to me and my doctor wouldn't comment on it until after cystoscopy. The report says "Negative for malignant cells. Scant cellularity. Cellular degeneration is evident. A few transitional and squamous cells present." Can someone help me understand what this means?

I have also been suffering from neuropathy in both my legs for past several months for which my doc hasn't been able to find the cause despite running several tests. Is neuropathy or sciatica type of pain one of the symptoms of bladder cancer?

Thanks for reading this. Not sure if it is justified but at this point i am really concerned. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Pet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne