Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT

10 years 5 months ago #45386 by yirelav
Replied by yirelav on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
Thank you so much Sara!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #45379 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
How long does it take to get the pathology results? The docs usually say "about a week." That just gives them some breathing time!! They may be able to give you their impressions immediately after the TURB, but that is just what they are....impressions. II IS ONLY WHEN THE PATHOLOGY REPORT COMES BACK that you will really know what is there.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: yirelav

10 years 5 months ago #45376 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
I can echo that sentiment
Your mother is lucky to have you to be there during these visits. She is probably like a deer in the headlights right now. Forgetting to ask questions and seeing only the word CANCER staring her in the face.

Good luck
I hope everything goes well for your mom.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: yirelav

10 years 5 months ago #45370 by yirelav
Replied by yirelav on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
Thank you so much Jswim789 and Sara for the information and comforting words. After reading your posts and the information on this website I feel a bit more relax, still a bit worried , but a bit more relax if that makes sense. How long does it take to get the results of the turb?

10 years 5 months ago #45368 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
So sorry that you and your mom have had some bad news. My case was very similar to your mom's....repeated UTI's that weren't! I am now five years past my diagnosis and cancer free so far and doing great.

A TURB is generally done as an outpatient under general anesthetic. This allows the urologist to take enough samples to allow the pathologist to make an accurate diagnosis as to whether is is, indeed, cancer, and if so, how far into the tissue it may have gone. I was back to normal the next day, but this can vary depending on the patient's condition and on how extensive the biopsies were. To me it was very much like a dental procedure done under a general anesthetic.

Depending on the results, you may very well want to seek a second opinion at a place that specializes in bladder cancer. It you go to our Home Page, in the upper right, you will see a link to Treatment Centers. The Medical University of South Carolina, in Charleston, might be a very good place for you to consider.

Also, it is not uncommon for a second TURB to be scheduled several weeks after the first. The second time the urologist has a better idea of where problem areas might be and can concentrate on those. It was only after my second TURB that we were sure what we were dealing with.

Best of luck to you and your mom...she is lucky to have you!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 5 months ago #45367 by jswim789
Replied by jswim789 on topic Mother has been scheduled for a TurbT
Everybody's different, but typically the recovery from the TURBT is not bad at all. I took it easy for a day, but was basically back to normal after that.

I empathize with your worries, but keep in mind that bladder cancer is generally very treatable. You won't really know what you are dealing with until you get the pathology report back. And you may need to get a second opinion on it and possibly another TURBT to double check. Getting the right diagnosis is very important.

In the meantime, try not to worry (impossible, I know), and do read up on this site and others on bladder cancer. You'll find lots of helpful information. And ask more questions on this forum as needed. We'll all try to help you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne