ALP level elevated

10 years 7 months ago #45318 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic ALP level elevated
When you go back to the BCG, if the next treatment is a "bad one," ask your uro about reducing the dose. There is no scientific rationale for the dose used; when BCG was first tried with bladder cancer, that was the dose provided by the manufacturer. Dr. Lamm has stated that as little as 10% of the usual dose can be effective. By the time I finished my whole course, I was down to 1/3.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: quasar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #45310 by quasar
Replied by quasar on topic ALP level elevated
It's true that all tests don't reflect a symptom of bladder cancer. My ALP levels were up before the cancer, so it was hard to figure out which came first. In the meantime, lots of tests later, the ALP rises and the rest of the tests are negative. I have a liver ultrasound this Thursday. From my research, it sounds like a bone scan would be more appropriate since all other tests are normal, but I will follow the program.

The last of my 6 week BCG treatments was last Thursday, so I have some reasons to celebrate! The last one was a doozy after having two treatments with very little reaction. I'm gaining strength again now, so I'm looking forward to a 6 week break from BCG and hopeful for the 3 month check up Oct. 11th. Woot! It's the little things that keep me encouraged now.

Thanks for your support and encouragement forum readers.

TURBT 7/3/13 at age 60
CIS carcinoma in situ
Ta papillary 2 cm
BCG 7/25/13-8/29/13
maintenance BCG 6/14

10 years 7 months ago #45261 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic ALP level elevated
Tests such as alkaline phosphatase sometimes show strange results and need to be run again for confirmation before hitting the panic button.

Also, we ALL need to remember that the bladder is not the ONLY organ in the body.
We can have other things that cause problems and that have nothing to do with bladder cancer!!

It is worrying when a test like this comes back with abnormal results. I have a friend with diabetes who was signed up for a clinical trial. They ran some tests the day before it started, and his pancreas function numbers were off the chart. Major panic!! Ran them again...normal.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 7 months ago #45257 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic ALP level elevated
Quasar,
I have not heard of ALP, so hopefully someone else will answer that, but I did want to say congratulations on making it through your first 5 BCG treatments!!
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

10 years 7 months ago #45256 by quasar
ALP level elevated was created by quasar
Has anyone had an elevated ALP (Alkaline Phosphate -- liver protein test) along with the bladder cancer? My doc has been monitoring my levels for about 1.5 years and it keeps going up. All other liver tests, hep b and c, thyroid, and vitamin D levels have come back normal. In June, I had a bladder ultrasound and they found the tumor that has started me on this bladder cancer journey. I just had my 5th BCG treatment yesterday and was feeling pretty good about making it straight through with the full doses and not having too terrible a reaction. One more left in this round! Then, my primary doc said she was setting up a liver ultrasound to figure out what is going on with the ALP levels and I practically had a panic attach. It may be nothing, but as we all know, the waiting is the hardest of all. The test is September 5th. I am not a pro at having health problems since I have been pretty healthy most of my life. This is really sending me into a tailspin. Has anyone else had the ALP problem in tandem with bladder cancer? Any ideas ol' forum wise ones?

TURBT 7/3/13 at age 60
CIS carcinoma in situ
Ta papillary 2 cm
BCG 7/25/13-8/29/13
maintenance BCG 6/14

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne