Looking for doctor in Seattle

10 years 7 months ago #45233 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
I echo Catherine's thoughts...It is so good to hear of a caring, thorough doctor!
There are lots out there...we just have to find them!!

If you are considering going to the LA area, another place you might want to research is USC/Norris. It has some of the best urologists in the country. You do have a whole cafeteria of good options!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #45231 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
Thank you for letting us know about your visit with Dr.Pritchett. It is wonderful to hear about doctors who truly tend to their patient's needs and listen to their concerns. You now have several great options available to you to get the best care for your surgery. And, doing all the homework you're doing on what to expect really pays off in being informed and prepared.

I hope this week allows you to recover and gain all you strength for your next round of chemo. I was just reading this week that having chemo before a cystectomy works very much in a patient's favor. I've never had chemo but there are several members here who have.

Please let us know when you have selected your doctor and your procedure is scheduled so we can be on the sidelines for you as your cheering squad along the way. Give my best to your daughter too!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: portorchardpat

10 years 7 months ago #45230 by portorchardpat
Replied by portorchardpat on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
Thank you Sara Anne and Carherine. My thirty minute appointment lasted almost two and a half hours! He took care of a few other patients while we were there but wanted my daughter and I to stay until all our questions were answered. He has done about 350 RCs with about a fourth of those on women. We talked about the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale but when he found out my daughter lives in LA, he said why don't you just go to one of the best hospitals and doctors there are which is in the City of Hope. So now we have some more homework to do. He concurred with the chemo I am getting which was good. All in all I was very pleased with Dr. Pritchett.

I'm glad I have a week off for chemo as my energy level and appetite have plummeted. I'm hoping to start feeling a little better before I start the second round. Any suggestions other than drinking my half gallon of water and trying to eat healthy?

10 years 7 months ago #45222 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
Good for your doctor, sending you for a second opinion. Virginia Mason is a very well -known cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. I researched Dr.Pritchett
and he seems very well qualified in current techniques in bladder cancer surgery. I do not know him personally (I live in Portland, OR), but it all looks good. I would be enthusiastic about consulting him.

Good luck. and please let us know how your visit goes.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 7 months ago #45219 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
Hello Pat... Unfortunately the Pat you asked about doesn't frequent the forum any longer, and yes, she was an encyclopedia of doctor information. We all learned much from her.

I am copying a response from Sara Anne below (and she may chime in here later) that she posted yesterday for another member about Phoenix. The Dr. Lamm she mentions pretty much wrote the book on BCG and bladder cancer treatments.

"Another thing that you will see a lot of on this Forum is a recommendation that anyone facing such a serious diagnosis get a second opinion. An excellent urologist will welcome this (mine said that if it ever came to cystectomy...it hasn't... he would INSIST that I get one.) You are not far from several really good places in Phoenix. One is Dr. Donald Lamm at BCOncology, and the other would be Mayo Clinic there. The more information you "dig out" before making any decisions, such as type of diversion, the better you will be. The best result of a second opinion is that you will find out, as you suspect, that your current urologist is "right on" with recommendations and treatment options, as well as experience. And, if that isn't true, you would want to find out sooner rather than later." ~Sara Anne

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

10 years 7 months ago #45214 by portorchardpat
Replied by portorchardpat on topic Looking for doctor in Seattle
Thank you Catherine. I've senn in some posts to ask Pat about the best bladder cancer treatment centers. How do I contact her? I also have the option to be treated in Phoenix as well as Seattle. Would like some advice on where I would be better off. Thank you.

Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne