Need Advice - Get Another Biopsy or Start BCG?

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #45135 by Walldiver
I got the dreaded phone call this morning - high grade bladder cancer. The doctor tried to get a deep enough tissue sample to assess whether the cancer had reached the muscle wall, but the pathologist said that the sample was inconclusive. So the doc said we have a choice - can either start topical treatment (BCG) immediately, or go back in and take another sample to see how deep it's gone first. I am interested in opinions from those who have been down this road before me.
A little bit more background: Symptoms started about 6 or 7 months ago. First just some burning when I urinated. About four months ago I noticed some blood in my urine. That triggered a visit to my GP, two rounds of antibiotics over a priod of about a month and a half, then finally a referral to a urologist. Cytology was neg, CT was clear, but cystoscopy showed a lesion and he took a biopsy that was diagnosed as dysplasia. Recommendation was TURBT to remove the spot and then monitoring. I live near Baltimore so decided to switch to Hopkins for treatment. When the Hopkins Doc went in, expecting to do the TURBT, he saw a more extensive area of concern that he said looked like CIS. He took biopsy specimens, which led to the call I referenced at the start. And my question to the forum. The doctor seems to be taking my opinion into account about whether to do another biopsy or start treatment. What would you all do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne