Adnormal Fish test results

10 years 9 months ago #44966 by ssgmike
Replied by ssgmike on topic Adnormal Fish test results
thank you for the response. I have had I guess 12 or so cystoscopies [ lost count ] since 2009, with irritation noted each cystoscopy for the last 3 tests. Yes there has been biopsies before and each time negative as negative fish tests. So yes a little worried, but aware not a death sentence.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #44964 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Adnormal Fish test results
The FISH test is only useful as part of a diagnostic work up. It is very "sensitive" which also means that it can come up with a number of false positives. What a positive test DOES indicate is that cystoscopy, done very carefully, is definitely indicated. In your case, it is time to worry a bit, but not time to WORRY....if you get the difference. Only cystoscopy and biopsy will give a definite diagnosis. The fact that you have had BCG and other surgeries means that your bladder is already irritated and who knows what it is trying to tell you and the urologist?

Will be thinking of you and wishing you the best...

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: ssgmike

10 years 9 months ago #44963 by ssgmike
Adnormal Fish test results was created by ssgmike
Hi first time posting here so hope I am posting in the correct area.
Diagnosed with bladder cancer in Feb. 2009, had surgery given BCG treatment and started 3 month urologist visits.

Feb 2010 got the all clear sign but of course married to my urologist for life.
The 3 months went to 6 months with my last visit a couple weeks ago, when I went for my routine exam, all seemed fine with little red irritation noted, which has been common. Oh a step back if I may. I have had 3 other minor surgical procedures in my urologists office for what seemed to be a small bump inside my bladder, but not deep into the bladder wall. But all came back negative.
Now with my last check up my urologist had a fish test [ had them prior ] done and received a call that showed an abnormality and scheduled me for Monday to discuss it and that a biopsy might be required.
I have a lot of confidence for my urologist as he is one of the best in NYC
And in between all this on 7/15/13 we are moving to a new house.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne