Starting with tests

10 years 10 months ago #44769 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Starting with tests
I'm so glad to hear that nothing has shown up in your testing.You must feel very relieved.

When I had bleeding I was fortunate that my primary care doctor right away started the testing needed and lined me up with a urologist. I believe they first did a sonagram, which looked suspicious enough that they recommenced CT. Even though I had a very small tumor, it showed up on both, which was confirmed by the urologist during cystoscopy.

As to the cause of your bleeding, you don't by any chance take aspirin or other nsaids such as ibuprufen, or any prescription "blood thinner"? Urinary bleeding is a fairly common side effect of taking medications such as these, especially if you have been doing certain kinds of exercises. (My husband, who is on a medication to prevent clotting, recently had urinary bleeding which I suspect was related to doing sit-ups! He ended up getting a cystoscopy exam, and all looked fine, no cancer.)

Again, I'm very happy to hear your good news.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #44762 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Starting with tests
Great results! Never let anyone tell you to ignore blood in the urine and always follow up with a urologist if it happens again. It seems unlikely to be the urethra but that can be observed with a cystoscope.

Glad it is nothing and as has been mentioned there are things that are not worrisome that can cause blood. Just don't assume it is always nothing or "just like before".

Good luck!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

10 years 10 months ago #44755 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Starting with tests
DC,

Glad to read your good news!

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

10 years 10 months ago #44753 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Starting with tests
Hello DC... I am glad that as hard as they tried, they found nothing out of the ordinary! To quote our dear Mike (mmc), you are cancer free until someone proves otherwise!

Please let us know how your three-month check goes. Come back here anytime if you need a place to leave your worries, or just to chat with us.

Hope you don't see or feel any more symptoms and you breeze right through the next cysto!

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #44752 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Starting with tests
As others have chimed in we hope you do get kicked outta here!

A couple of quick observations. It is good the CT scan shows nothing! Almost all of us have had that test. Answering about Baylor. I do believe they are well respected however, all of my research as a backup should I need them, M.D. Anderson in Houston is 1st rate and world renowned. Part of my bias might also be that I live in New Braunfels so that is about 2.5 to 3 hours away and DFW is 4.5. I have had several people I have met in my living area that have had to go there for different cancers and all have been very positive. I do know the bladder cancer group is top notch: Dr's Grossman, Denny and Kamat are very well known.

Another note. My wife 20 years ago bleed for 2 or 3 weeks and they NEVER did discover what caused it. No UTI or cancer was discovered from several tests. Sometimes a ureter can be nicked by a passed stone causing bleeding. Who knows? I even know a couple of people that continually pass small amounts of blood infrequently and they have never discovered why.

I am certain there are a couple of more tests that run through the ureters I am sure are called for. I don't remember the name but, my wife had that one done. The cystoscope is a standard protocol.

Anyway, here's hoping nothing is found and you find peace of mind. If it is somethng else it is beatable!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

10 years 10 months ago #44751 by dctx
Replied by dctx on topic Starting with tests
Update 2:

Cystoscopy didn't show a growth in the bladder but hematuria continues. The doctor said that another possibility was that there might be something in the tube that goes to the bladder but that was a small possibility. In any case, I have another appointment in 3 months and I will post again for the record, so that the other newcomers can follow one more case.

I feel relieved for the next three months but a few weeks ago I've read about one old BC case here with no findings during the first cystoscopy and where it wasn't discovered I think for 2 years.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I've looked at many posts from the past as well and I was especially touched by those who continually gave advice to the newbies without even thinking about or mentioning their own circumstances.

Best of luck to everybody and hope everyone has a healthy summer.

DC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne