discouragement

10 years 10 months ago #44847 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic discouragement
Hi Itsamama, I was dx over 5 1/2 years ago. I have my next follow up in three weeks. I initially had low grade superficial, once tumor 4cm x 2.5cm. There was a difference of opinion if it came back at my first follow up. I have had 30 BCG treatments over the years and some have been rough, but only for a short time.
Sometimes I would have significant fequency, burning and temperature swings, rash etc and other times the reaction would be mild other than frequency and a slight increase in my temperature. With my first three BCG treatments my side effects were mild.

Looking back I do remember that when I was first DX the day before Thanksgiving I also went into a funk, lost about 10 pounds and it took around 1 month to get out of same. Once my treatment started my outlook changed for the positive and have been pretty upbeat since. There is no doubt when my time for a follow up comes around the concern creeps back around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #44845 by itsamama
Replied by itsamama on topic discouragement
BCG #2; completed (Monday). Reaction; tired that night & the next day.
Is it ok that he didn't have more of a reaction? I'm so concerned...
Thanks for listening & suggesting.

DH (Dear Hubby)...
Diagnosed: March 2013
TURBT (non-invasive, aggressive), CIS: April 2013
BCG began: May 2013
Completed initial BCG: July 2013

10 years 10 months ago #44814 by itsamama
Replied by itsamama on topic discouragement
Thank you for all the info & encouragement.
The BCG was a breeze (easy for me to say, right?). That night he felt fluish & the next day he was back to being tired (still low on blood). Is it ok that he didn't have more of a reaction?
Then on Friday the Dr called to say that the urine culture showed an infection. So he's been on an antibiotics & today they renewed the Rx to last until Wednesday...his 2nd BCG will be Monday. I did question having the BCG while on an antibiotics...reply: it's a special circumstance. Special circumstance? Usually I am all about having my questions answered, but lately, I find that my brain is numb during some conversations.
We will discuss the warfarin change at his next cardio appt. Great suggestion!
I appreciate each of you & you are often in my prayers. Thank you - again.
Blessings
b

DH (Dear Hubby)...
Diagnosed: March 2013
TURBT (non-invasive, aggressive), CIS: April 2013
BCG began: May 2013
Completed initial BCG: July 2013

10 years 10 months ago #44754 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic discouragement
In our household I'm the one who's had bladder cancer, but my husband has afib and had all kinds of problems with warfarin. His dr. put him on pradaxa, and it's made a world of difference. Pradaxa is much moire expensive than warfarin, even though we have insurance, but in the long run I suspect it saves money as the person doesn't have to keep gong in repeatedly for testing. You folks might want to talk to the dr. about other "blood thinners" besides warfarin. Best of luck with the bladder cancer treatment. I did the full round of bcg treatments and have been clear for 5 years.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.
The following user(s) said Thank You: itsamama

10 years 10 months ago #44748 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic discouragement
I so hope the BCG goes well today. Poor guy has been through enough already and I know how worried you are about him. My best to you both...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

10 years 10 months ago #44747 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic discouragement
Great news! Hope all goes well!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne