Mum diagnosed with TCC/UCC cancer in Kidney &mets

10 years 9 months ago #45008 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Mum diagnosed with TCC/UCC cancer in Kidney &mets
James... that is wonderful news that your Mum is recovering well. She will need to be diligent about having regular bladder checks to keep an eye on that. My fingers are crossed for her too! I wish you both the very best!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #45003 by James from England
Replied by James from England on topic Mum diagnosed with TCC/UCC cancer in Kidney &mets
Hi Guys

Teresa - I am also sorry to hear that the tcc has gone to your bladder. I hope that the treatment goes well and you have good results!!

My mum had her kidney removed at the end of May and she is making a good recovery. The pathology came back as grade 2 tcc. She also had her bladder washed out a couple of weeks after the operation too. The Dr said that she is cured but there is a change it may come back to the bladder. Fingers crossed that she will be fine now.

Take care!!

James x

10 years 9 months ago #45002 by teresa56
Hi Catherine,
Thank you for your warm welcome and encouragement.
Blessings,
Teresa

Radical Laproscopic Nephro-Ureterectomy: 05/18/12
TURBT: 01/14/13 (dx: CIS, high grade)
TURBT: 05/28/13 (dx: pT1, papillary urothelial carcinoma, & high grade & CIS)
BCG: Induction Phase completed: 07/31/13

10 years 9 months ago #44993 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Mum diagnosed with TCC/UCC cancer in Kidney &mets
Hello Teresa... Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear that your cancer has moved into the bladder but I glad you have already started on a BCG regimen.

You hit the nail on the head when you talk about "not fitting the profile"... I wish all uro's would wake up and realize that in recent years the old thinking of the typical bc profile being older, white, males in their 70's just doesn't apply any longer. There are many members here in their 50's, (and 40's) and being male or female is about the same in numbers.

I hope you will feel free to start your own thread. Ask anything... we're not shy about 'bathroom' issues and for most of us, modesty went out the window after that first cysto!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: teresa56

10 years 9 months ago #44991 by teresa56
Hey James,

Any further word about your Mum? I am a new member here and just read over your posts. I was diagnosed with TCC in my right kidney last year. CT scan showed a very small lesion in my liver also, but it is a small cyst.

I had a radical laproscopic nephro-ureterectomy in May 2012. I'm doing well, but have since been diagnosed with (TCC) urothelial carcinoma in my bladder. I have just had my first 2 BCG treatments (4 more to go in this "induction phase").

I also am in my 50's. Diagnosed at age 55. Funny thing is, I just didn't see it coming. All my friends say I'm the most "health conscious" person they know. Even the first urologist I saw scratched his head and said that I just didn't fit the profile.

Anyway....interested to hear how your Mum is doing. I am praying for her.

Shalom,
Teresa

Radical Laproscopic Nephro-Ureterectomy: 05/18/12
TURBT: 01/14/13 (dx: CIS, high grade)
TURBT: 05/28/13 (dx: pT1, papillary urothelial carcinoma, & high grade & CIS)
BCG: Induction Phase completed: 07/31/13

10 years 11 months ago #44714 by CatherineH
Hello James... I am so happy to hear this news about your Mum. I hope they can pinpoint her kidney problem and get it treated and taken care of quickly.

I want to add that I don't want you to dismiss the value of a CT scan if it is suggested in the future. It is a window to see inside us and is a valuable diagnostic tool for doctors. CT scans and MRIs are not necessarily interchangeable and are best for different situations. It is interesting reading if you google "ct scan vs mri".

In your Mum's case, it was the doctor who jumped to the conclusion without it being confirmed by radiology and pathology. I'm sorry you went through weeks of unnecessary worry. My very best to you both and please come back and let us know how she is doing.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne