Need Advice

10 years 8 months ago #45122 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Need Advice
That is wonderful news. Thank you for letting us know.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #45121 by Mrsj100
Replied by Mrsj100 on topic Need Advice
Wanted to follow up on my dad. His primary care doctor nixed the surgery and he opted for chemo/radiation. This month he had a 3 month cycstoscopy procedure and the tumor is gone and there's no cancer cells, only atypical cells. So they will need to be watched.

He survived radiation and chemo pretty well. He is tired and lost some weight, but nothing serious. Wanted to share.

11 years 2 months ago #44093 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Need Advice
Please ask your Dr. if he is doing this surgery with the DiVinci robotic system. I understand the surgery is much less invasive than the open surgery that many of us here have had.
But, as many have already said..... get that second opinion. A good Dr. will always welcome another Dr. "look see"

Wishing you and your dad the best of luck.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #44067 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Need Advice
Sara Anne has given you good advice. Any surgery is no fun but, at age 85 the urostomy diversion is probably the best & simplest. Sorry that your Dad has to go through this but, there are many of us at different situations that can help as you ask questions. While surgery is probably inevitable, perhaps a second opinion, preferably at a major center that has a section that all they do is bladder cancer might have a different take on radiation and chemo. As this has invaded the muscle,if you do want a 2nd opinion obviously you want move fairly quickly on this. If his general health is good, heck he may very well outlive me and I am 60! There a many on this board that have had diversions many years ago!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

11 years 2 months ago #44064 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Need Advice
A simple urostomy, with a bag, is the easiest diversion possible, both from a surgery standpoint and for maintenance. I think, at your father's age, it is probably the best recommendation. Keeping his bladder would probably allow the cancer to spread; by removing it, you have reduced the chances for that to happen. Usually, chemo and radiation are not used as an alternative to cystectomy, but rather as aadjutant, if it appears that the cancer has already spread.

This isn't going to be easy, but your urologist probably feels that this is the best course of action for you father. If he is in good health, and mentally strong, he can do this, with your help!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 2 months ago #44063 by Mrsj100
Need Advice was created by Mrsj100
My 85-year-old father was diagnosed with Stage 2TA. Or 2TB bladder cancer and the urologist is recommending a radicalcystectomyand urostomy. I am concerned because of potential complications and the fact my dad has problems changing his hearing aid battery. The doctor said chemo and radiation would be hard on a man his age. But I suspect the bladder removal won't be a walk in the park either.

What can he expect, what is the recovery and what are the potential complications?

He is somewhat healthy for his age.

We have faith in the doctor, but this is all so new so I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Diane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne