5 years and counting...

11 years 2 months ago #43928 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic 5 years and counting...
Celebrate EVERYTHING! Congrats Mike!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #43922 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic 5 years and counting...
Yes I live in a northern suburb of Phila. My wife was very involved so it's very possible it was us. Her memory is better than mine and I'll ask her. Glad you're doing well and I helped a little.

Mike

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

11 years 2 months ago #43921 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic 5 years and counting...
Mike that is great news. Are you from Philadelphia? Shortly after I was dx I spoke to a Mike G and his wife who helped me overcome the initial shock of my dx. That was also about 5 years ago.

Joey

11 years 2 months ago #43920 by mikeg
I'm a pretty stoic guy but it was hard to remain calm the first few years, especially before a scan. My worst cry was when Doctor Schoenberg came in my room a few days after surgery and said the bad news was I had an infection, and the good news was there was no lymph node involvement and they had gotten all of the cancer. I had held it in so long that it just spilled out...hadn't cried in 30 years maybe. I just forged ahead and started playing tennis 2 months later. Keeping going kept me going I guess. I'm still stoic and trying to be as prepared as you can be for whatever comes.
I'm really glad you're doing well and glad we could meet this way.
Heck I paraglided off a mountain in Queenstown New Zealand last year,so I'm actuallly working on my bucket list:)
Of course my wife made me do it!:)
Mike

Michael
Age 58
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

11 years 2 months ago #43919 by mikeg
Nothing is too personal and that's why I posted here.

I too had Cisplatin/Gemcitabine, 3 cycles, but mine was before my surgery. The tumors did shrink in my case before surgery and while I was fearful that I was too weak for surgery, I had it done a few days after my last chemo. I wish I knew more about what to tell you, but my experience is all I've got. I did not have any lymph node involvement after surgery and that's a good indicator of future prognosis. I wish him all the best.

Mike

Michael
Age 58
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #43918 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic 5 years and counting...
Mike,

Just thought I would let you know. I was watching the movie "The Bucket List" a few minuets ago, and the little guy in my head got a hold me. As usual he got the upper hand on me and I felt that fear coming back.

I had a little cry and hugged my wife until it passed. Then I came on to the site to see how everyone is doing, and I came across your post. I was almost as if you knew I was getting a little shaky and needed a little reminder that I am one of the lucky ones.

Just wanted to thank you for posting good news. I needed that.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne