Husband Recently Diagnosed

11 years 7 months ago #42874 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Husband Recently Diagnosed
It sure sounds like the right treatment path. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Keep us in the loop. Sounds like there is some complication if he is still "recovering" from his TURBT but maybe it is just because it went deep.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago #42873 by jaxmad13
Replied by jaxmad13 on topic Husband Recently Diagnosed
I wanted to update you all on my husband's status. We had our appointment yesterday at the UIHC with Dr. Michael O'Donnell. Dr. O'Donnell went over the ct scan and the pathology report from UIHC. This is in the pathology report from the UIHC and is concerning to Dr. O'Donnell "Although no definite muscularis propria is identified, the abundance of invasive neoplasm, combined with the observed growth pattern, make it highly likely that muscularis propia invasive disease is present in this patient." Dr. O'Donnell therefore feels that the tumor is a T3 and is muscle invasive and he wants to treat it aggressively. He has ordered three months of chemo, cat scan after second month of chemo and then he would be off of chemo for one month and then have surgery to have his bladder/prostate removed. We start chemo on 8/23 and will do it at UIHC as that is what Dr. O'Donnell has recommended. I'm thinking he will probably have surgery in December/January. Dr. O'Donnell said the recovery time will be approximately three months and usually six weeks the pain is pretty much gone. I question that as my husband is still recovering from the TURBT and it has been one month since that was done. They feel that with the Chemo before surgery it gives him a 5-10% better chance of survival which is on top of the 50/50 chance he is already given.

There were concerns by the intern of a couple of lymph nodes because they were showing up on the ct scan and normally don't, but Dr. O'Donnell wasn't too concerned about those. He will be doing a neobladder instead of an ostomy.

So now we start chemo on August 23rd and start our climb up the mountain.

Thanks for listening!

11 years 7 months ago #42791 by jaxmad13
I'm hoping that he will and we will talk at that time. He sounds like you in that he doesn't know when to slow down.

Can you tell me how they tell what the classification of the tumor is? That's a question I have for the doctor.

Thanks again!

11 years 7 months ago #42790 by mmc
He will rest after the RC (Radical Cystectomy). When we get to that point we can talk more. I'm an example of doing too much too fast. First set of incisional hernias there were three. Second surgery for incisional hernias there were five when they quit counting and just put a mesh screen in there. When they say what his weight limitations are, he needs to pay attention. :)

Age 54

11 years 7 months ago #42788 by jaxmad13
Hi Mike,

I appreciate you taking the time to give me all this information. It has been very helpful. I have gone back and read it over and have made my list of questions and I know that I will have more.

I'm also glad to know that my husband has one of the best in the country. I know his main concern is getting it done and back to work. He doesn't sit idle for very long and I know that's why he is slowly healing now from his TURBT as he just doesn't rest.

I am glad to hear that you are a survivor and that you are living a normal life.

Thank you again and I'll stay in touch!

11 years 7 months ago #42786 by mmc
His doc is correct. That's the choice now. The key open question is if chemo is going to be needed before or after.

You've got one of the best docs now though so he's in great hands. Hang in there and hang on to each other. Bring a journal or whatever kind of notebook you want and take notes. You cannot remember this stuff without keeping a written record.

Mike

Age 54

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne