still confused.

11 years 8 months ago #42348 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic still confused.
Jim
It seems that the more information the advance work provides the better it will all be if and when surgery begins. You are certainly in good hands with UCD. I’m local and follow the progressive work from UCD as well as Kaiser

I just got my all clear ie: no sign of cancer for my 3rd year.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #42341 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic still confused.
Jim
I know how you feel. It all seems as though it is one stutter step after another. And your mind races so far ahead and always fears and anticipates the worst.
It still follows the three step process.
Diagnosis..... this is most confusing because of the consults and procedures.
Treatment.... there are many, and varied methods. Not all are Big surgery
Recovery... And sometimes this is the hardest. Because your mind plays a large part in how you get "back in the game"

It will all be as clear as mud soon. Don't forget to have a laugh along the way.
Believe me. It helps

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

11 years 9 months ago #42325 by ichbinjim
Replied by ichbinjim on topic still confused.
Thanks Mike ! your comments and those of others on the forum have been so very
helpful.

It appears you have had several issues with your bladder and your attitude is
really great.

Jim

11 years 9 months ago #42323 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic still confused.
Jim,

You are likely MILES and MILES away from anything like chemo and radiation. Unless you are WAY farther along that most folks before they found it, there are a number of things that are used for treatment before that.

Chemo (in the traditional sense) is usually only if it has spread or there is a high likelihood that it already metastasized. With bladder cancer, if it is contained to the bladder, getting it removed is usually the worst case scenario and that's not such a terrible thing. Had mine out for over 3.5 years now.

Also, they can instill mitomycin (technically a chemo agent) into the bladder directly so it has NONE of the various side effects of "chemo" when it is put through the blood stream.

Even more likely is BCG (live TB vaccine) that is instilled in the bladder over a period of six weeks (once a week) and then a maintenance regimen of 3 weeks every 3-6-12 months (gradually increasing over a few years). This is not even chemo. It causes your bladder to have an immune system response which kills bladder cancer cells.

Finally, if it is non-invasive and low grade (after they take the tumor out), your treatment could wind up being "Come in for a look see every three months".

Don't get ahead of yourself in the treatment concern. There are lots of possibilities and most of them are WAY better than what you are thinking. Let us know as soon as you have more information and we will do what we can to arm you with information.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 9 months ago #42322 by ichbinjim
Replied by ichbinjim on topic still confused.
Thanks y'all for the heads up about the initial cystoscopy. I got a call from UC Davis today and they have moved me from July 17 to July 12. The chief of the
department will be doing the initial scope so I am grateful.

We are hoping that things won't be too bad but don't think it will be a death sentence either. We know that I might have some rough times if I am on chemo and radiation . Being retired should put less stress on us doing recovery then if I had a job.

Thanks again for the wonderful support.

Jim

11 years 9 months ago #42320 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic still confused.
The cystoscopy is normally done before a TURBS (Surgery to remove a tumor).

The scoping (cystoscopy) is to show the Urologist where the tumor is located, how many there are, how big they are,and how to go about the task of removing them. You are numbed up and it only takes a few minuets in the office to do it. No big deal, I do it every three months.

The TURBS (Transurethral Resection Bladder Surgery) is where they operate on you in a hospital. They put you under and perform the surgery. Then you go to recovery. This is a big deal, but not the worst thing to do.

The tumor is then sent to a pathologist to be tested for cancer. Not all tumors are cancerous!!! Only a pathologist can tell if its cancerous or not.

The same tool is used in both procedures, but they do not remove any thing during the cystoscopy they only look inside. It is the best way of identifying the problem in the bladder.

Like Catherine has said, the sooner the better. But for now it sounds as if you are in good hands. Rest up, enjoy life as best you can, and let us know how things are going along the way.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne