need some advice

11 years 9 months ago #42156 by razorback
Replied by razorback on topic need some advice
Hello Paula,

I am just a few weeks ahead of you on this with having my last TURB two weeks ago which proved to be T1 high grade non muscle. Yes, the procedure is 15-20 min with couple hour recovery. I was sent home with catheter for one week after my Repeat resection but not after my initial resection. After not having catheter after my resection, I was glad to have it after Repeat resection. I am just now getting past the burn.

I had my wife video with her phone the post surgery Dr reports as seen here,
, and put on You tube so to be able to direct family and friends to and for later accurate review, my surgery reports were viral within minutes. I rather let the vid's speak for themselves to inform friends and family, use my time for next step rather then reporting my previous ones to others. Good Luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #42155 by mt bk
Replied by mt bk on topic need some advice
Hello, I agree with Catherine, this seems pretty standard and I suggestion that you have the pathology report [and slides] sent off to a well know Cancer Pathologists for a second opinion, regardless of what your doctor finds. Good luck and keep us posted. You are not alone.

Steve

11 years 9 months ago #42121 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic need some advice
Hello Paula... I truly understand your numbness at getting this information and feeling like you've been swept up by a tornado. My situation was similar... my gynecologist found the tumor during an ultrasound. She very calmly pointed it out to me and said "we need to get this looked at right away." Her staff was on the phone making an appointment with a urologist before they let me leave. I could hear her on the phone explaining that they had a patient (me) with a "bladder mass" and needs the first available appointment. My first ever urology appointment happened a few days later, and 10 days after that I was at the hospital for the TURBT (the surgery you will be having). It was more than I could absorb at the time!

Prior to all that, I had never even had a UTI, never even thought about seeing a urologist, or certainly never heard the word cancer in reference to myself. Total shell shock, which is what probably all of us here have felt as well.

Sara Anne and Mark have given you some good guidance. This is a situation where speed is a good thing. When there is something in there that shouldn't be, the sooner it comes out the better. Then you can know how to deal with it and you and your doctor can plan accordingly.

One thing we most always suggest is to get a second opinion after your pathology report comes back unless you're at a hospital that specializes in bladder cancer, and sometimes even then. You don't have to worry about that right now, but just something to consider at that point.

Please feel free to ask anything here. When it comes to BC, there is a wealth of knowledge here with our members, and we are happy to share our experiences with those who are new to the site. We were all that "new person" once and know how scary those first days and weeks can be.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 9 months ago #42119 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic need some advice
Paula,

Welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear that you are going to have a TURBS. Try not to worry to much about the surgery, it isn't all that bad. The worst part is the not knowing what is going to happen next. We can, and will, help you through all the way. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

We all know very well how you felt when you first heard that you might have bladder cancer. Its like a kick in the gut. You kind of go numb, then you only hear every sixth or so word that the doctor says from that point on.

Because of this I hope you can find a loved one, or a close friend to go on any future appointments with you. They should be there with you so that the two of you can listen to, and ask the doctor questions. Keep a note book with you and always ask the doctor, or care provider, to stop and explain, or clarify, anything you do not fully understand. This isn't being rude, this is what a good doctor wants you to do.

If you get home and don't feel right about something, or just need someone to talk to we are here for you. You are not alone. And most likely you are going to be just fine.

Keep strong and have faith.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

11 years 9 months ago #42113 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic need some advice
Well, he sure piled a lot on your plate at once!!!

My guess at an interpretation? When the urologist did the cystoscopy, he saw what looked like a tumor...the kind that is usually low grade. However, it will only be after he removes the tumor and a pathologist examines it, that he/you will know for sure.

Probably the surgery you will be having is a TURB (trans urethral resection of the bladder). In this procedure, the urologist will carefully examine the lining of the bladder and take samples to send to the pathologist. He will also try to completely remove whatever tumor he finds.

The procedure itself is not bad...and is usually a bit easier on women than men. I have had it twice and neither time was it necessary for me to have a catheter...your case may be a bit different. You will be asleep during it, so won't feel a thing.

About a week after the TURB, you will sit down with your urologist and discuss the findings. Only then will you really know what you are facing, and be able to start making some decisions about your treatment.

Meanwhile, you have time to really educate yourself. An informed patient is a GOOD patient!! Go to our home page, and at the very top, under "HELP", are several tabs. As you click on these, you will find lots of information about bladder cancer. It is a lot to digest at one time, so take it slowly, with a cup of tea!!! If you have any questions, please be sure to ask us.

Remember that most bladder cancer is very treatable; it does tend to come back, which is why your urologist said that you were going to be friends for a long time! Probably you will be having exams every three months for a while, then every six months, then...

Good Luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 9 months ago #42112 by paula115
need some advice was created by paula115
Hello to everyone, Friday I saw an urlogist (spelling) who did a cystoscopy after 2 min he ask to come to his office. He began telling a story about "aunt millie" and how he did not need any glasses to recognized her he know by the way she move and talked it was her. Still dumb founded by this conversation, I asked I am confused,he then said you have a tumor and it is low grade and cancer. I was numb at that point,as I asked questions he kept telling me about aunt millie story. I am sure this story was told to me to build my confidents in him. Today I had a Ct scan. It has been almost 12 hours since the scan,have not had results..However his office called to book the surgery for next week. I am glad things are happening fast,but I feel like I am in a tunnel. I recall him saying that the procedure will take only 15-20 mintues under general,home the same day with possible a catheter..depends on what happens, any feed back does this sound right?? I'm wondering If I heard him right..He also said that it could come back and him and I were going to be friends for a long time. I hope I like this new friendship...I would love any feed back

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne