hernia repair

12 years 1 month ago #41452 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic hernia repair
I hope the stretching doesn't mess up your neobladder.
I discovered (also after a hernia repair) that my Foley catheter was clogged. I told them to pull it as soon as I realized it and cathed myself and also got over 1000cc.

Kind of messed me up but it's happened to others without messing them up. By messed up, I mean I couldn't really empty after that so I have to cath every time I go.

Again, that only happens to some of us but it is why it is so important to be sure that they understand you have a neobladder and the ramifications of that.

When I went for another surgery after that, I brought my own condom catheters. I basically told them I would rather just use that than run the risk of a clog in the Foley. It works like a champ.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #41443 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic hernia repair
Hey Loubrook,

Good to hear you are home and feeling better. Sounds like you have had quite the week. I hope things start getting better for you soon.

That's kind of scary, when they give you the wrong medication. I'm glad it didn't hurt you. Keep up the good spirits.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 1 month ago #41442 by loubrook
hernia repair was created by loubrook
Hi everyone
Posting to give a update on hernia surgery.Quite a experience this time.The surgery went well but after a day I notice that the output of of urine was really low.I asked if somedy had empty it ,no.
So later in the evening I told them something was wrong for sure,so the nurse called the doctor,she irriguate my bladder twice nothing was coming out.So she took of the catheter that was in,and she tried to cath 4 times she could not get the right spot.After she scan to see how much i had in my bladder it was saying at least 1 liter.
Oh my God i started to panic and that nurse to,finally I told her I will try myself with my own cath&GEL good thing I had my mirror,anyway first try I got 1000cc out,ouf...
The next day she comes and asked me if I was allergic to certain medication,she said they had given me 4 times a medication that was for another patient.ahahah.Fortunaly,it did not do any harm but scarry.I was glad to come home.I was there 3 days.
But the surgery is fine.and feeling good already,stiffed but good.
So no more hernia,dont know yet if my bladder will work,to soon to try,the pain is still there.I will know in a couple weeks.If not well ,I am an expert in caths now.

Thanks for listening

loubrook B)

metastatic urothelial carcinoma,neobladder surgery oct.2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne