new to this, looking for reassurance

12 years 1 month ago #41407 by m2stevens
Replied by m2stevens on topic new to this, looking for reassurance
Thanks again Catherine. I am off to the hospital now as the docs do their rounds early here and I like to talk to them.

I am lucky because I have a great support network here so I am getting lots of help.

It will be another few weeks before we get the pathology results from the tumour, lymphnodes and prostate. We are hoping that is all clear. But I worry when the doctor says the tumor didn't look like "typical" bladder cancer. whatever that means ;)
I'll be checking back in tonight when I can.

Monique

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #41406 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic new to this, looking for reassurance
You have certainly been on a whirlwind since that diagnosis, but in these cases, speed is your friend for getting BC out of the body. During that period, sometimes sanity can seem like just a faded memory. I think if there is one commonality among all of us here is that absolute shock and fear of hearing those words for the first time.

I recently learned that a former coworker had an RC back in January, got out of the hospital in 8 days, but a few days later had to go back for a while because his intestines just wouldn't cooperate. He's now out and doing much better. Mike is only at 10 days and it's important to keep your expectations reasonable. He will get through it, but as you read, the Mack truck and train that hit him will take some time to recover from.

Right now it is important for you to get some rest because he will have to lean on you a lot. With that thought... tomorrow is a new day and I hope Mike turns the corner and begins to get over his nausea so he can get up and around more. It's so important to walk to help the body wake up and start to adjust to its new "normal".

Sending good thoughts to you both...
Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 1 month ago #41405 by m2stevens
Thanks, I figured Saturday night might not be the best time to post but I can wait for some help. I just got back from being at the hospital all day and thought i would throw it out there and see if our neobladder survivors had some suggestions.

From some of the other posts I read last night, i was able to reassure Mike today that feeling like you have been hit by a Mack truck is quite normal and so is the feeling pretty depressed and "fragile" is what we call it. Tears are never too far off for either of us.

This all happened very quickly. we thought he had a bladder infection at the end of November and by Xmas he was not better from 2 rounds of antibiotics so I pushed for a cystoscopy. We were at a small hospital and they said all was fine. NOT! so, on new year's eve I took him to the Ottawa General for a second opinion and tada, he had another cysto and they found something, sent it off to pathology and the next thing you know, it's off to surgery to have your bladder, prostate and a bunch of lymph nodes removed. Pretty scary stuff especially for a guy who never gets sick.

I look forward to the responses I get from the other guy. Maybe this will help me keep my sanity...remember I said maybe :)

Monique

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #41402 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic new to this, looking for reassurance
Hello Monique... So sorry your husband is having such a tough recovery. From what some of the other guys here have described, those first few days and couple of weeks are extremely difficult as you and Mike have unfortunately experienced. It is reassuring that your doctor was pleased with his procedure and things look good in that respect.

As Mark suggested, I hope while you're waiting for some posts here, you have found some other recent discussions of issues with RC surgery right afterward. Saturday night generally is a slow night in the forum as I suspect people are doing their weekend things.

George, Mike(mmc), and a few others have the neobladder and will be along soon I'm sure. They are a wealth of information and experience.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 1 month ago #41401 by m2stevens
Yeah, I worried that the Hockey Puck reference might be lost on non-Canadians but I figured with a login name of Upnorth I might find one person who knew what that was. :)

I will continue to read the past posts.

Take care.

Monique

12 years 1 month ago #41400 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic new to this, looking for reassurance
Monique,

Wow a hockey puck size tumor is huge. By the way I am from northern Minnesota so I know how big a hockey puck is. Now as for the rest of the group they may need to Google it. :laugh:

Hang in there. Were all in this together.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne