Newbie Checking In

12 years 3 weeks ago #41217 by MyChoice
Replied by MyChoice on topic Newbie Checking In
Thanks Mike.

I do have a question about chemo. My doctor later today will tell me if they recommend chmo before surgery or after surgery. I know of someone that had this operation 2 years ago and he tells me to say NO to chemo. So what is the rule on this. I cant seem to find much on here about this or just haven't found it yet.

If the cancer is contained and if they do testing during surgery shouldnt that be ok?

PC 7/2/12
T3a/N2/M0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #41215 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Newbie Checking In
Welcome Ben and Pam!

Sorry you have to join the club but I'm glad you found us when you needed us.

I'm pretty sure already that you are both going to be long term added value to this site as you go through this process, learn, and then contribute back to others on the site in the future.

I was T2 G3 and got my neobladder in October of 2008. So I'm over three years cancer free now. Three years from now I plan to see you posting that same thing in response to someone else when they show up as a newbie.

Your doctor sending you to another that does over 50 a year is really great. As you have seen from reading this site, that is one of the biggest predictors of success with the neobladder surgery.

There are people who are no longer on this side of the lawn because they thought it OK to go with the doc that does a couple a year. Some were lucky and are doing fine but why play the odds.

My wife is a nurse also so I can tell you that it surely helps. She won't be all grossed out and my wife handled all the neobladder flushing for me when I came home from the hospital. Non-nurses can do that also but just knowing that she has the skills to take care of things and recognize if something isn't right can make a difference in your confidence level when you are back home.

As I mentioned on another response to a different post of yours, GOOD LUCK!!!

Do make sure the kids know that bladder cancer is very treatable when caught early and treated aggressively. You are taking the right path for being around years from now.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 3 weeks ago #41197 by MyChoice
Thanks George. Type A here! :-)

PC 7/2/12
T3a/N2/M0

12 years 3 weeks ago #41196 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Newbie Checking In
Ben and Pam
Welcome to the beginning of Your Life without cancer. I am just one of many survivors on this site. We are a growing bunch of cantankerous over acheivers who have been given a second chance and realized that life is indeed a precious comodity (maybe not as precious as gasoline, according to the speculators)and are willing to go to the ends of the earth to get well again.

We also realize how great family is. They are all touched by this disease and are instrumental in "getting through it!"

Good Luck and We are here if you need us.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 3 weeks ago #41194 by MyChoice
Thanks Ray and I'm glad to meet you.

PC 7/2/12
T3a/N2/M0

12 years 3 weeks ago #41193 by corkyd614
Replied by corkyd614 on topic Newbie Checking In
Hi Ben,

Just wanted to welcome you to this site. I am new here too and like you I spent a good amount of time reviewing the posts and gaining tons of knowledge from this wonderful group. Best wishes and Blessings to you and family and hope surgery goes well.

Ray

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne