Where to get cytoscopy done?

12 years 2 months ago #41028 by rbmc
Replied by rbmc on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
If your condition has recommended a cysto, yes, do it. At least find what you feel is a qualified urologist for the procedure. You don't have to start "top notch". The results from this first scope will determine your situation, and from there, feel free to make choices about how, when and where to proceed. Once you zero in on your particular problem, you'll be able to make better decisions. Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #41016 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
If the option is available to get to a top place for your TURBT then take that option. Otherwise, a local uro that does a lot of TURBTs is ok. If you get diagnosed with bladder cancer then it is highly recommended to get to the best you can.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 2 months ago #41007 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
This is one of the most important things you will ever do. The scope will show very clearly what the mass is. I had a dark mass showing also, but when they looked at it with the scope they found out it was just blood stuck in my bladder.

The scope freed up the blood and I passed it through my urine. The good thing is that they found only a small tumor in the bladder witch they did a TURBS on a few days later.

It was cancer but we hope we caught it early enough to keep up with it. With out this scope it would have been very hard to see the tumor. And leaveing a cancerous tumor in to long is NOT a good thing.

Sara Anne is realy good at answering any questions that you have. But feel free to post anything (even the ones you might think are stupid). What you think of as dumb might be the most important question you could ask to us.

Welcome

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 2 months ago #40993 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
Most often, a GOOD urologist will repeat the TURB in about 4-6 weeks to be sure that all suspicious areas are biopsied and that enough tissue has been take to ensure that all the margins are clear and that there is no muscle involvement, or,if there is, that it has been accurately assessed. Therefore, it is very possible that, should you seek a second opinion, the consulting urologist would do a second TURB....and he would want to be sure that this was done correctly.

I may be wrong, but I sense that you might be a little uncomfortable with your current situation. Just remember, YOU ARE IN CHARGE and you need to do what your gut tells you.

What is your geographic location?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 2 months ago #40992 by newsie
Replied by newsie on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
Thanks. CT scan showed a mass in or on the bladder. OK, it sounds like the cytoscopy can be performed by a competent doctor. What about the TURB? If it is performed at one hospital, and you want to swtich to a "better one," will they have to do that prodecure again?

12 years 2 months ago #40991 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Where to get cytoscopy done?
If you have bladder cancer, or suspect that you do, it is important to be seen at a place that treats a significant number of patients with this disease. It is not necessary to be at a center such as MSK, but you should be seen by a urologist who is experienced in more that prostate problems! (If I lived near a center such as MSK, I would definitely go there...but it is not always practical.)

Is this your first cystoscopy? During this exam, the urologist will visually examine your bladder to see if there is any evidence of cancer. If he suspects cancer, he should then schedule you for a TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) which is done under general anesthesia...usually an out patient procedure. During the TURB he would take samples of the suspect areas and send them to a pathologist for a definitive diagnosis.

AFTER the pathology report is in, you will have a better idea of what you might be facing. At this point, if the diagnosis is bladder cancer, and especially if it has advanced beyond the bladder lining or is high grade, you will need to explore seeking a second opinion at one of the real centers for bladder cancer.

If you tell us a little more about your situation...why you are having the cystoscopy, for example, and your geographic location, I am sure that others will chime in with all sorts of advice!!

Good luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne