2nd Pathology Report

12 years 1 month ago #40966 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic 2nd Pathology Report
Good to hear!

Thanks for the help Sara Anne.

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #40965 by warrentug
Replied by warrentug on topic 2nd Pathology Report
Ya I think it's good news too...I've had a few hours to let it sink in and I'm finally not feeling like the walking dead. First time in three months!! If I had to have the Chemo and then the Rx there was a good chance I would have had to sell my boat to cover all the bills while I couldn't fish. Now I will be able to make salmon season and start to dig my self out this hole that three months of medical bills has dug. They called me back and told me I start treatment March 9th through April 12th....salmon season starts May 1st.

Thank you everyone for the support and answers to scary questions, it has really helped! This whole time I've been able to hold it together emotionally for the past three months until today, I guess the relief from the 2nd pathology finally got to me and it came out. Not cured, just the beginning but at least I feel better. Warrren.

12 years 1 month ago #40962 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic 2nd Pathology Report
I think this is GOOD news, Warren!!!
And the difference between chemo and BCG? Chemo is given systemically and uses drugs that directly attack the cancer cells....as well as other cells. This is why it often causes hair loss and other bodily problems.

BCG is a biological agent (a modified tuberculosus bacterium) that is instilled directly into the bladder...not systemically to the entire body. It apparently causes the cells in the lining of the bladder to initiate an immune response to the bacteria, and, as a result, the bladder cancer cells localized there are also disrupted/destroyed. A very unique type of treatment for a cancer.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 1 month ago #40961 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic 2nd Pathology Report
Warren,

I think BCG is Chemo. just in a liquid form. They do this so you don't have to treat the whole body, just the bladder. I haven't had to do BCG yet.

Keep up the fight.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 1 month ago #40959 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic 2nd Pathology Report
Yes, BCG is the "gold standard". While it also beats chemo and works 80%+ of the time. No one really knows why but it stimulates the immune system. While BCG has side effects, most are tolerable. Also, waiting until you heal is also proper. You will do just fine. Almost everyone on this forum have been through it!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

12 years 1 month ago #40957 by warrentug
2nd Pathology Report was created by warrentug
I just got back from the doctors office with the pathology report. It said "no malignancy identified" but that there was a thickenning of the epithelium. But I quess that could be caused by the first TURBT.

The doctor wants to start the BCG treatments in 3-4 weeks after I heal up a little...I guess this is good. Growing up in Minnesota you expect the worst and even now I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

So I am still "Stage 1", T1-G3...so does this make sense, the BCG instead of the Chemo or/and a RX? Thanks, Warren.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne