Looking for a neobladder surgeon in Tampa Bay Area

12 years 3 months ago #40807 by dukel
Fred, glad you found the forum. What ever you decide to do I wish you the best. Just making the decision on what surgery to have is a large step forward, and like Catherine said, one less thing to worry about. None of these surgeries are easy, but they are doable. Study the forum for people who had the same surgery. It can be a great road map and make your journey much easier.
Duke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #40801 by CatherineH
Hi Fred... You have done the research and found the right solution for you. The neobladder is a great solution for some, but if it's not the right fit, you are avoiding many headaches down the road by listening to your doctor's advice.

I am happy you have confidence in your surgeon and feel comfortable with him. Every little worry you can take off your plate leaves more energy for your healing and recovery.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #40796 by mmc
Fred,

Glad you found a doctor that you are comfortable with and the surgery is all planned. A bunch of folks here have the ileal conduit and are very happy with it.

It is an easier (on you) surgery compared to the ones where they try to construct a bladder and typically takes much less time.

Best of luck on the surgery and let us know if you have any questions. Sorry I couldn't answer your initial post as I don't of the docs in your area. Had you asked about one in Colorado I'd have fixed you up right away.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 3 months ago #40784 by JakeB
I found a surgeon at USF who does the neobladder, but said I wasn't a good candidate for the neobladder because of my past history of heart bypass, stents, and carotid artery surgery. He recommended the ileal conduit and scheduled me for surgery in 3 weeks. I feel I am in good hands.

12 years 3 months ago #40680 by JakeB
I have finally decided I need to go ahead with bladder removal surgery after getting a second opinion. None of my doctors have discussed neobladder surgery. I go for consultation tomorrow with my cancer doctor and 2 days later for consultation with my urologist. I have called Moffitt Cancer Center twice in the last few days for information on physicians who do neobladder and haven't got a call back yet. Does anyone know of a doctor in the Tampa Bay Area who has done neobladder surgery?

Fred

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne