My Dad was just diagnosed with bladder cancer-Help

12 years 2 months ago #40758 by GKLINE
Has anyone actually seen a bladder? I mean, It is one ugly, slimey, yucky thing! If we go through all this effort to save something......... Why are we trying to save something so ....... well, "Ikkkkkkkkeeeeeyyy"

If I was diagnosed today with bladder cancer and the Dr. gave me the choice of bladder sparing, with the chance of an RC down the road; or having the Radical Cystectomey Now............. I would still want that rat bastard cancer out of there NOW!

In short..... I'd do it all again.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #40753 by dukel
Mike, nice photo, is that a bruise I see on your forehead from banging it against the wall on this case. :)
Duke

12 years 2 months ago #40750 by mmc
The reason that article doesn't mention bladder replacement is because the article is about doctor's not following protocol for treatment. That lack of following protocol is the NCCN guidelines. The NCCN guidelines DO RECOMMEND removal of the cancerous bladder for Stage 2 or beyond. Doctor's who do NOT follow that protocol have more patients who die.

You don't have to have your bladder removed. You can choose to try to keep your bladder forever. That choice increases your chances of bladder cancer killing you but you are allowed to choose whatever option you want.

I chose aggressive treatment and have had no recurrence for over three years now.

The NNCN guidelines are there for a reason. Following them saves lives.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 2 months ago #40747 by Groucho Marx
Replied by Groucho Marx on topic My Dad was just diagnosed with bladder cancer-Help
Iam the outlier here. I had TURBTS for stage 2 cancer in September. I am not convinced replacement bladders are that great. I have sought a second opinion and and finally got the follow up scoping I need. I do have another tumor to be removed this week. I will be scoped every 3 months and maybe some chemo.

It is interesting this news article from the home page here says nothing about bladder replacement www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/29/eveningnews/main20085671.shtml

12 years 2 months ago #40674 by sara.anne
You are very fortunate that you live close to one of the best places in the US for the treatment of bladder cancer....
The University of Southern California, Norris Center! It is always a good idea to get a second opinion, since not all urologists are experts in the treatment of bladder cancer. I believe that is what RBMC meant in his posting. If you are able, a second opinion and review of your dad's case at USC would be a great option.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 2 months ago #40673 by sargis
Thanks for your response.
We live in Los Angeles, California. When you are saying "its time to decide where you want to proceed in the USA" - what exactly do you mean with that? Are there any places that are much better for treatment then others in USA? If there are which places are those? which hospitals? which oncologists/urologists? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne