My TURBC is over

12 years 4 months ago #40318 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic My TURBC is over
PST,

Now you know why a bunch of tend to be happy people as well.

Glad all went well. Hope you have no pain issues. When you first wake up you wouldn't expect to feel pain because they typically give you stuff that hasn't worn off by then.

If you do have problems, they can typically get the pain under control pretty quickly without major narcotics.

The pink is no surprise. They were cutting so you were bleeding. Shouldn't last long though. You'll heal pretty quickly from a TURBT.

All the best for a quick and painless recovery and for good news on the pathology report!!!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #40316 by PST
Replied by PST on topic My TURBC is over
rbmc,

The reason I ended up getting doxorubicin instead of mitomycin is a shortage of mitomycin, something I confirmed later is documented in news reports and on the web site of the FDA. As a result, my hospital isn't making it available for perisurgical intravesical chemotherapy. I wasn't thrilled to have this explained to me after the surgery, but my doctor said that studies have not shown any statistically significant differences in efficacy. I thought I vaguely remembered reading that before, but I'll go check now. Assuming it's true, that's still not how I want these choices made if I can help it. Doxorubicin has also been in short supply at times and is (again according to the doctor) more expensive than mitomycin. So in a way, he said, I'm lucky because I got to receive the more expensive drug. More proof, if proof were needed, that doctors don't understand copayments at all.

I realize this post is a bit more jaded than the first, which was written in the PACU. Surviving surgery makes me euphoric! And I am still mighty happy.

PST

12 years 4 months ago #40312 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic My TURBC is over
Glad your surgery went well and that you are feeling no pain!

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

12 years 4 months ago #40310 by rbmc
Replied by rbmc on topic My TURBC is over
Sounds like you're off to a good start, if there is such a thing here. My bag was worse than Pink, like, Red. "Normal", so they say. You mention a new drug, what is that?? I'm still a newbie.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #40309 by PST
My TURBC is over was created by PST
Here I am in recovery with a bladder full of doxorubicin. I feel fine, with barely a twinge of pain, even with no medication. I'll have my catheter overnight. I saw a nurse taking away my first bag of urine. It looked awfully pink to me, but no one was at all excited about that. Both the attending surgeon and the resident came by promptly to talk to me, which was reassuring. They hinted at probably a Ta, but in any event not visibly invasive. I got a nice set of photographs. There was a second tiny tumor in the shadow of the first, and the word "field" came up in our chat, but otherwise things couldn't have gone better. I'm grateful for the good advice I got here, which helped allay my anxieties.

PST

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne