Cost?

12 years 5 months ago #39955 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cost?
Hello to a fellow Oregonian!!

Warren, the problem with bladder cancer is that it is notorious for coming back. Assuming that what you have is the least serious
kind, and assuming the "usual" protocol, you will be having cystoscopy exams every three months for two years, then every six months until five years are up, and then once a year after that.
With an "occasional" CT-urogram thrown in.

IF it returns, or if it turns out to be a little more complicated, such as CIS (carcinoma in situ...a high grade form) you would have
BCG treatments over a period of about a year and a half. If, worst case scenerio, it is muscle invasive, you are looking at very curative, albeit very expensive surgery.

IF you can handle it, the state insurance might be a good idea; once you have been diagnosed with cancer, as you know, it is very difficult to find insurance and, as we age, other things happen to us.

Where are you being treated? I am being seen by Dr. Daniel Janoff at Urologic Consultants, St. Vincents Portland

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #39954 by warrentug
Replied by warrentug on topic Cost?
Thanks Gary, I'm glad I found the site to. I'm doing a crash course on bladder cancer:) Thanks.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #39953 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Cost?
Warren
No one can tell for sure about long term with your cancer, other than you will have to be checked for the rest of your life,. You can ALMOST be sure that with in the first year or two you will have a recurrences. Almost everyone does. I have had at least 6 recurrences. Your checkups should be every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 2 years then 1 per year, if you have a recurrence you have to start all over again.

Sorry you are here, but we are glad you found this site.
We are here to help you. ;)

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

12 years 5 months ago #39952 by warrentug
Just wanted to add some information....in Oregon we have a state run "High Risk" insurance pool that people with existing conditions can apply for. It won't help for the first 6 months but then kicks in 80% of cost. Looking at the rates I think I would be paying $500-$600 a month and then 20% of my bills. I know for the first year or two I will need testing every three months....I am wondering if in the long run it would be a good idea to get this? Not knowing how much I will be racking up in bills each year it is hard to decide which way to go. Thanks again for any ideas or rough estimates on cost. Warren

12 years 5 months ago #39951 by warrentug
Thanks for the info. So far everyone involved is willing to do payments and strech it out, my biggest fear was that I would have to come up with all the money up front. I know that all this work being done now is going to be alot of money,( I'm hoping it stays under $20,000). I guess what I was wondering is how about long term, with all the follow up.
Thanks again,
Warren

12 years 5 months ago #39949 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Cost?
Warren, I am so sorry you are having to deal with having no insurance as well as finding you have bladder cancer. Talk about feeling you are between a wall and a hard place. There are resources for people that find themselves where you are at. Here are a list of links that should get you started. If you find you can not make any of them work call your governors office and ask for the person that handles their medical matters. Tell them your story and ask if they can help you find resources. Also call your local University hospital and ask for their financial office and ask if they have anything available to help.

This is the Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition

www.cancerfac.org/

This is a list of other resources on our website

bladdercancersupport.org/hp/blc-links/31-financial-

I hope this helps and please keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne