CYSTECTOMY?

12 years 9 months ago #38011 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic CYSTECTOMY?
Hi, Lustron, welcome to this forum. My husband was diagnosed with BC what I refer to as the b**tard cancer July 13th, 2010. Just like you we were, "what the heck is an RC/IC?" how does this work is it worse than having BC? Wow! We didn't lead into it slowly as Jim had already gone from the bladder into his prostate and well, diagnosed 7/13-RC/IC 8/12/10. Not much time to daly and wonder that's for sure. We had a number of 2nd, 3rd and so on opinions and not a one said, "well, we can wait and see". THEY all knew it was bad but because so few people know about or think about BC we didn't know. This forum was and continues to be extremely helpful with people who really know their BC stuff. Pat is a font of information, Mike is simply awesome with his support and George always manaqes to make me smile even with the miserable b**tard cancer issue! I caught my breath when you first posted that losing your bladder meant you felt you would be better off dead! NO WAY NO HOW! Jim is doing great, is followed every 3 months with CTs (BTW he ended up not being a T3a he ended up being stage IV with 3 lymph nodes positive) and we are grateful he is alive and we are planning a trip next week. BC doesn't mean the end of you life unless you let it. We are chosing to LIVE with BC, not DIE with BC. The way we see it, Jim is cancer free until proven otherwise! Stay well, come here often and know hat there are really great, people with a lot to offer here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #37986 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic CYSTECTOMY?
lustron591 wrote:
Fear is often grown in the UNKNOWN. It can be a terrible thing. BUT that's where we come in handy. As fears, nerves, questions arise-we are just a keyboard away. We want you to do well.
Cheers for your wonderful progress.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

12 years 9 months ago #37977 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic CYSTECTOMY?
Now "THAT'S What I'm Talking About!"

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 9 months ago #37973 by lustron591
Replied by lustron591 on topic CYSTECTOMY?
@george: thanx. i think my attitude is slowly changing from fear & dread to thoughtful anticipation.

12 years 9 months ago #37968 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic CYSTECTOMY?
Post Surgery = Post Cancer

Post Surgery does NOT = poor lifestyle

You will need to be a little selfish about yourself for a while. But take car of yourself and soon you will find that the minor lifestyle changes are worth it. Lets face it, you have all new plumbing!

Eat little meals. And lots of them!

Keep drinking water and chewing gum

Keep walking. Lots of walks. Every day

DON"T And I mean Don't! ..... lock youself away from your friends. They may not show it.... but they want tobe there for you. Don't regale them with surgery and pain stories. Keep it light and even funny. Human contact will help in the recovery process.

And, Last but probably the most important of all. let your caregiver know how important they are..... every day! All day!

Good Luck... We are counting on you!

Sincerely
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 9 months ago #37953 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic CYSTECTOMY?
Surgeons are a pretty narrow specialty. Most do not have the background or interest in the difficulties patients experience AFTER the surgery. It is very important that you located this site and the wonderful knowledgeable friends here. We have experienced all of the diversions available so can be helpful whichever way you surgery goes.

You already have some pretty good reference materials and as specific questions come up just ask. We are here to help each other.

I have the ileal conduit (stick-on bag) and after a number of leaky difficulties earlier I have adjusted to this goofy thing stuck to my stomach. Amazingly the darn thing works trouble free. The ultimate goal is to be cancer free and I find the bag to be a small price to pay to reach that goal.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne