BCG treatments- Any tips for easing discomfort?

12 years 10 months ago #37891 by Joey
Bambi, I have had 21 treatments so far over 3 years and I have had the majority of the side effects including, rash, fever, chills, aches, frequency, burning, nauseau and fatigue. The first 6 I had very little symptoms but my bladder looked like a war zone from the BCG and numerous biopsies. I have not had a recurrence since 04/08 (my first follow up) and if my cytology is clear next week I will start treatments 22-24. My cysto exam today showed that my bladder looked real good. My symptoms last about 2 days with the frequency and burning lessening after 24 hours. Sometimes when I have my three successive treatments, maybe the first has the most effect, the second less and then the third more. There has been no rhyme or reason other than I have at least some side effects all the time. It must be working and hopefully after next week my luck will continue.

Joey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #37890 by Patricia
Its a little different with everyone Bambi but don't hesitate to call the doctor as there are things to make him more comfortable...just watch out for the symptoms of something that is not normal. This is about the best paper on BCG i've ever found.
www.rxlist.com/theracys-drug.htm
pat

12 years 10 months ago #37889 by Bambi
So my husband has been getting his BCG treatments each Tuesday now. He just had his third on Tuesday and as I thought I read here somewhere the effects seem to be cumulative. He has been pretty miserable with spasms , aching in the bladder this week. Do those of you who have been through this have any tips? I had him put one heating pad behind him and one in front and that seemed to help. He has also taken pain meds from post surgery. He isn't one to call and ask the Dr. but tries to tough things out.
And do the side effects get worse each week for most people and how long after the 6th did it take to feel better again? He gets very discouraged but I have tried to look at it as the BCG is doing what it is supposed to be doing but that is unfortunately increasingly uncomfortable and that will pass with time. Am I just totally off with that ? I do realize of course that I am not the one feeling these things and that is a whole different ball game than from the outside looking in... Thanks-
Bambi

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne