Missed BCG treatments

16 years 11 months ago #4913 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Missed BCG treatments
Hi Mom

Mito is widely considered to be the best bet when BCG isn't an option. The response rates are very similar.

I hope your son's doctor is up on the latest improvements on how to deliver Mitomycin.

There are actually 3 different new improved way to deliver Mito these days, the "Au protocol:" Rosemary mentions that is very simple and covered here:
blcwebcafe.org/mitomycinprotocol.asp

Then there are 2 European innovations showing improved responses, one is Synergo which heats up the drug, blcwebcafe.org/synergo.asp
the other is EMDA (Electro-motive-drug-administration) + BCG, where they also heat of the Mito and then follow through with BCG. blcwebcafe.org/intravesicalchemo.asp#emda
This last innovation showed the highest response rates ever seen in blc treatments!

Lots of new treatments coming down the pike, good.
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #4904 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Missed BCG treatments
Mom,

I had a couple of doses of Mitomycin C after TURB's. I wish all Urologists would implement this method.

I happened to run across this article about Mitomycin C and the possible enhancement of effect by making the urine more alkaline while taking treatment. I'm not recommending this. This is for informational purposes only....

cancer.unm.edu/cancernews.aspx?section=cancernews&id=16997

Good luck, Mom

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #4896 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Missed BCG treatments
Wendy I had a board for poker once and the Admin ( lol which was me ) sets up the the amount of posts for the stars or whatever other emiticons they might use for its members. No offense to this board it has become a kind of second home checking out others post but when I had my poker league with board I did not have cancer then so that was more enjoyable. Mom I hope all goes well for you and your son this is nerve wrecking as with any cancer I know this first hand being Stage T2 G3, Best Wishes, Joe

16 years 11 months ago #4894 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Missed BCG treatments
I had mitomycin but really only twice as a precaution many years ago. not a course or anything like it. my surgeon used to favour it as a standard treatment following turbt to catch any stray cells that he missed or may have been shed during the procedure (cells falling from the tumour site can "seed" to other areas of the bladder.I was told at the time the dome is a favourite spot as they float up in the water that they fill your bladder with and settle in an air bubble at the top; allegedly - I've no way of corroberating this but it sounds like it could happen!)

Its classed as a cytotoxic antibiotic which means basically it kills cells. It can be given intravenously for systemic disease but for me and your son "intravesically" ie via a fine tube into the bladder.

In my brief association with it, I didn't find it particularly bothersome but as I said, I didn't have a course so others here may be able to add to this. In fact, when I had it, it was administered, I did the usual fifteen minutes on each side and then peed it out with no obvious symptoms. I can tell you, however, that I was disease-free for nearly two years after the first dose - still my record for a tumour free period...so fingers crossed...

heres some uk info on mitomycin c that I think sums it up ok; again, ignore the intravenous stuff!

www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=4012

All the best

Tim

16 years 11 months ago #4890 by Mom
Replied by Mom on topic Missed BCG treatments
Mom here again. My son with superficial bladder cancer met with doctor for 2nd opinion Thursday. They are going to begin MITOMYCIN C treatment as soon as can be scheduled. I have already checked out the Mitomycin website, but wondered if any discussion on this type of treatment? Anyone famililar with it? Thanks.

16 years 11 months ago #4804 by Mom
Replied by Mom on topic Missed BCG treatments
Wendy,
Thank you again. I have passed the diagnostic information and website on to my son and asked him to show his doctor. We were not aware of this procedure.

Carole

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne