Can you tell me about Bladder replacement options

13 years 2 months ago #35977 by alanjay
BillM,
My oncologist said the same thing about healing. Fortunately I have the time (my employer has it's own disability program and I do not have to worry about my states program with all the stupid rules), I made a commitment to myself and my wife to fight the Cancer, however patience is another thing altogether. I like to keep my mind and body busy and am tired of sitting on my rump or spending the day in bed. I will just take one day at a time and if I have to sleep after getting a snack, so be it. I am still looking at the type of replacement I want for my bladder, All have their advantages and disadvantages. I have about 3 months to decide which one I want to live with.
The topic has been locked.
13 years 2 months ago #35948 by dukel
AJ. Sorry to hear of your illness. The more you study this site the more knowledge you will have for decisions you will need to make. I can't say for sure what it is, but for me i found comfort here. I think it let me know what to expect, and to know others have already when through it and were okay. My own thread on here starts about a month before my surgery and continues even now a year later. But I wouldn't want you to only see my stories, it very important that you view others that did not have as good as outcome as myself and others. So if you have time just dive into the different thread. There is almost nothing you can't ask here and almost no question that someone here has not already experience. The last thing i will say is that be it chemo, surgery, whatever, the human body is a lot tougher then one thinks, and i bet you will find you are too.
Duke
13 years 2 months ago #35928 by BillM
The wait time is probably to give the bladder time to heal after the TURBT and to get your kidneys working better. Chemo is hard on your body and you want every thing healthy. After surgery you will probably loose some of your muscle tone and have to start with the kegels again. Everyone here has been through the different treatments in one form or another, and most would do it again. It just takes time, determination and patience to get to the end of treatment.

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...
13 years 2 months ago #35923 by alanjay
Bill,
You are a godsend. You are making the best case for me getting the Neo-Bladder. I am already proficient in the Kegel Exercises by necessity. My Tumors are blocking my Ureters so that I need to push down to urinate already. I had a Nephrostomy tube put in one Kidney already which is a tube attached to a bag when my urine goes. I believe the TURBT I am having next week is to unblock the other Kidney. My output into the bag is about 8 times what it is through the bladder. Was supposed to start Chemo yesterday, now Oncologist is making me wait 2-3 weeks after TURBT to start the Chemo.

I also want to thank you for sharing your experiences with me.
13 years 2 months ago #35921 by alanjay
thank you, I will and thank you for sharing
13 years 2 months ago #35920 by alanjay
thank you, I am still getting acclimated to te site. I will look at the link
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne