Make decision

13 years 3 months ago #35591 by Markq
Replied by Markq on topic Make decision
Sorry about the reoccurance. I'm newly diagnosed myself and in the middle of BCG induction. So far other that some burning and tiredness everything is going well.

I haven't had to face a reoccurance yet and I don't really know what I would do if it happens. I would get a 2nd opinion for sure and would like to preserve my bladder if possible. Realistically, being 39 with 2 small children at home long term survival is a higher proprity for me. With that in mind, I may very well pick the RC route if faced with that decision myself some day. I'll cross that bridge when or if I come to it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10
BCG induction starting 12/17/10 followed by BCG maintance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #35590 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Make decision
Sorry that you are facing such decisions, but glad that you found our "family." You did not mention where you are, geographically. Some of our members are really full of information on the quality of cancer centers with regard to bladder cancer. It does seem that a second opinion at a place that specializes in bladder cancer ASAP is in order. And it is very much to your current urologist's credit that he suggested this.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 3 months ago #35589 by gwharvey
Make decision was created by gwharvey
I am new to this group and have a little info for background.

I had bladder cancer a couple of years ago and we did BCG treatments and was ok for about 18 months. The BCG treatment really tore up my bladder everytime the Urologist looked he said it was really inflamed even if no treatments for 3-6 months. I had a Scope the end of Sept 2010 he did not like what he saw and did a biopsy the next week. It came back with invasive Paphillary urothelia Carcinoma grade 3 and extends into the lamina prapria. He was going to start BCG treatment but also suggest I see another Urologist who is a Professor at the University and is the Chief of Urology/Oncology at the hospital.

He did another Biopy and it does not show in the Muscle per the lab but it looked like it was when he was doing the biopsy.

He is recommending the sugury but will try BCG if I want but does not want to delay.

Leaning toward Sugury but am scared. If sugury what type neo bladder sounds good but don't like the cather part. Would like to delay for another 20 years but that is not likley.

Sorry this is so long and excuse the spelling

George [img/]

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne