exercise/rehab following bladder removal surgery

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #35872 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic exercise/rehab following bladder removal surgery
Spam removed. Deleting text of my post to report it.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #35757 by GKLINE
Swag

I hope you are recovering physically from your surgery. I am sorry to hear about your Chemo sessions though. We are all following your posts and wish you the best. Please take care of yourself and keep us close for anything. We car about your progress and you can just rant to us whatever is on your mind.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

13 years 3 months ago #35721 by mmc
Swag,

You may want to start a new thread under the metastatic bladder cancer section with questions about chemo. I don't have any experience in that area (and haven't really studied that) so I'm sorry I don't have much to offer.

Was cancer indicated in the lymph nodes and/or any other areas?

I think you may also want to find out from the oncologist exactly which chemo agents are going to be used. That information can help those who know more about this be a bit more specific in their advice.

Best of luck to you on the chemo and radiation.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #35717 by Swag
Hello
Thanks for comments.The cancer has advanced outside the bladder and chemo will commence upon recovery from surgery . The oncolgist in hospital indicated the chemo/radiation would run between 6-12 months.I understand everyone suffers different effects from chemo. Does anyone have suggestions on how to manage effects best as possible.Thanks

13 years 3 months ago #35716 by rudyskier
Replied by rudyskier on topic exercise/rehab following bladder removal surgery
Swag.. sorry the NEO was not an option for you, everyone is told that there are no guarantees until they open you up and take a peek inside. I am only familiar with the Ileal, but if you were (and sounds like you were) in good physical shape prior you should be able to a lot once fully recovered.

As for the sleeping issue: First of all you've just gotten out of surgery so don't expect too much comfort regardless of the Ileal. It will take time. Second) For some reason I was not able to sleep well for several months after my surgery. I did not have continence problems, I just could not sleep. So be patient and be positive it will all come together after awhile. Oh, I sleep like a baby now... even better than before the operation.

My thoughts are with you... take it easy and know that the worst is over.
Rudy

13 years 3 months ago #35713 by motomike
Swag. I’m glad the ileal conduit (IC) procedure was available for the doc to use in your case.

I toss & turn in my sleep so this led to a 3 AM ruptured bag & huge mess. This led to what I call (LBA) Leaky Bag Anxiety. This is my term- not the Docs! LOL I could only sleep 30 to 60 minutes at a time. I would check my bag to be sure draining was normal. To solve this I moved my sleeping to the living room sofa. The drain tube looped over the sofa cushion (T shaped) and the container was hidden in a basket at the foot end of the sofa. The drain tube coiled up in the basket out of sight during the day. My favorite TV viewing position (head on left elbo) and my sleeping position are pretty much the same and I don’t worry about night time leaks now and I can get a full night of sleep on my left side or my back. I realize this is kind of a goofy approach to a problem but it’s working for me & might for you.

I’ve moved that sofa into the den & put a TV in there.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne