exercise/rehab following bladder removal surgery

13 years 1 month ago #36235 by MIAsunsh
empty"/\n\nHey just joining, glad to be in! I glimpse forward to partcipating and have study a whole lot so far, so hello!

I've been concerned in some other forums and have found this site to have substantially much better subject matter, so it helps make sense to as a final point submit!

BTW, what can I do to change the time zone for my account? It's kind of weird having the time like 5 hours off lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #35946 by dukel
Swag; It is daunting to everyone. Sorry you have to go through all that. I really hope you have someone to support & comfort you through this whole process. Been there, done that on the port, it's better then all the needles and pokes and it is not that uncomfortable, you won't mind it. As for your Dr. saying it will come back. He don't have a crystal ball, any cancer can come back. No one knows. You give it your best shot and try to stay positive, keep fighting. I had both bone cancer and lung cancer ten years apart odds were they were suppose to come back. They
did not. So don't let that odds stuff get you down. I always looked at it this way, " even if my odds were only 5% that it wouldn't come back, someone had to fall in that 5%, why not me?
Wishing you the best.
Duke

13 years 2 months ago #35940 by Swag
Hello to everyone once again.
Thankyou for all the posts regarding best wishes and advice/information.I saw the oncologist yesterday.My chemo is to commence on 1/2/2011.It should run for 3-6 months depending on response to drugs(Carboplatin and gemcitabine).Radiation treatment will be used if my body , due to surgery, can tolerate. It is likely i will have a port installed in my chest for drugs and blood to be taken. Its all a little daunting at the moment.It seems to be happening so quickly . Please don't misunderstand me.I am looking forward to the positive effects chemo offers and still remain positive.The oncologist is of the opinion that the cancer will return at some stage so i am hoping to prove him wrong .

I fortunately have not been directly affected by the extensive flooding in Australia.I have a few friends who have lost homes or had minor/major damage. They all remain positive and are inspirational to me.

Cheers for now
Swag

13 years 2 months ago #35927 by BillM
Hi swag,

Hope things are going well. Chemo is such a mixed bag as everyone is different. Your diet for post surgey to get your bowels working againg might also help during chemo if your system fights a little. Another thing that my doctor pushed every visit was stay away from sick people, the chemo compromises your immune system. The surgery is done, so the most painful part is done. The
chemo is not fun but it sounds like it is getting more tolerable as time moves along.

Keep us up to date, and get better!

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

13 years 2 months ago #35891 by dukel
Swag, sure am sorry to read of your cancer. I Just wanted to respond a little about your chemo Question. It is all different. It depends on what chemo they use and how your body reacts to it.
That said, you just need to take it one day at a time, try to eat when you're up to it, try to drink as much water as you can to wash those chemicals out of your system. Walk as much as possible and worry as little as possible! Remember the human body is a lot tougher then one believes, so if you can't eat for a while or whatever, don't stress over it to much. Try to accept as much chemo as you can stand. There is a fine line they are trying to walk, trying to kill the cancer without killing you.
There comes a point in time where we are no longer in control. You just fight one day at a time and do the best you can.
Wishing you the very best!
Duke

13 years 2 months ago #35882 by motomike
Swag
I did keymo before my ileal conduit surgery so you may have a very different mix.
I took notes when I had Doc visits so I checked to see what my keymo included:
Methotrexate MTX
Vinblastine
Adriamycin
Cisplatin
I had no side effects from this other than the expected hair (& beard) loss.
About this time we had a family gathering for one of the kids birthday. I got the youngsters together and asked them what it was that made me a GREAT uncle. One boy guessed it was because I’m so old! No, I said. It is because your great uncle mike can do things that no one else can do. I can do things that no one else on earth can do! With that I reached up and grabbed a handful of hair and removed it! Wow! The kids marveled and were delighted as I displayed a large chunk of my white hair. At our Christmas family gathering one little girl wanted to pull my hair to see if she could do it.

I did the keymo fine. I did the ileal conduit surgery fine. It has been 8 months and the bag still gives me fits. The bag has been my biggest challenge of the whole ordeal.

I sincerely hope that your family and friends have been safe from the flooding there. The news reports I’m seeing are really bad.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne