Im HOME!!!!

13 years 4 months ago #35120 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Im HOME!!!!
Sorry so late in checking site -- had my surgery 9/11 --- complicated by C-Dif and hosptial pyschosis (bad trip)but through little victories day by day, bowels are fairly normal, just have more movements and smaller stools but adjusted --- have found right pouch for my kind of 'inny' stoma and get 4 days out of pouch.

All the things that come up,just take time and process of one little victory at time is how I made it and of course big believer in ' walk as far and as often as your energy allows. I do 1 mile and half everyday and I live in the mountains so it is an up and down walk which has been good.

Being cancer free is what is important -- the inbetween problems are well worth the endurance. May your healing be constant and may hope abide.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #34834 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Im HOME!!!!
Though the Cleveland Clinic sent me home with Doculcet and i did need them i don't think thats Julies problem....she's going everytime she eats. And not advisable to add the bulk at this time as the intestines are healing and could get jammed up. Before taking anything anyone else has had always check with your doctor..he knows how much intestine he took and what the potential problems may be. Don't be afraid to ask anything. There should be a nurse of his on duty that you can talk to.
Pat

13 years 4 months ago #34831 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Im HOME!!!!
I had my surgeries 6/08 and I still take 3 stool softeners a night. I just can't seem to go with out them. I tried and went 4 days and had to start all over again. Not to discourage you but that is my experience. Glad you are home.

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

13 years 4 months ago #34830 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Im HOME!!!!
Welcome Home!!! Isn't that just the best feeling walking back into your own home after such an ordeal?!? I don't know if it is advised by anyone else here, but I took Senna stool softeners for a few days to ensure that there was absolutely no straining during bathroom visits and added a daily fiber tablet.

Yes, be careful about lifting. While my surgery was a partial cystectomy and not an RC, I had a catheter and leg bag for 3.5 weeks. During the first 10 days or so, if I overdid it, I would see blood-tinted urine running into the bag as a warning. Scared me to death first time it happened and called Vandy. The nurse advised to sit with my legs elevated and rest. It cleared up quickly but it was a definite visible signal that I was being too active. I live alone and without anyone here to provide adult supervision, I sometimes did things I should have waited for help with. As Mike said, some lessons are learned the hard way!

So happy you're home. Hugs to you...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

13 years 4 months ago #34826 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Im HOME!!!!
Yippeee! Congrats. Julie on your first day back home. Now the real fun begins...watch what you eat...dine on easily digested foods...maybe some protein shakes if you can handle them...best served very cold. Yes, the bowels are adjusting and it's tricky in the beginning...you may want to keep some prune or apple juice around for awhile. Stay in touch on the web and you will always find someone here who can share tips on how to manage this new life style. This time next year you will be a pro and advising others. Hugs. :)

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

13 years 4 months ago #34825 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Im HOME!!!!
Julie,

Sorry to hear about the complication but glad things are better now. It will take some time for the bowels to get working properly again and you will probably notice that you are a bit more sensitive to certain foods. Some folks have kept a log book of what they eat and drink in order to narrow down foods that have a bigger impact on the bowels. My experience has been that it lessened over time.

Keep up your walking now that you are home. Don't wander far if you go outside though. Short distances in one direction and then back past your house and then short distance in the other direction. At least for first week home, have somebody walk with you if you go outside.

It will take some time to fully recover. DO NOT lift anything heavier than the doctor told you (probably 5 lbs) as there is a risk of hernias due to the incision in the abdomen. I did not follow this rule too closely and I paid for it with two additional surgeries to fix hernias. This last time, I paid CLOSE attention.

My advice comes as result of learning what rules I should have followed and didn't. :) You don't want to learn these things the hard way.

Take it easy and best of luck on your continued recovery and welcome to cancer free!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne