One day post op

13 years 4 months ago #34896 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic One day post op
You do know, don't you, why things have been going so well? All of us on the forum are standing right beside you!! :)
Seriously, congratulations on your progress and your wonderful attitude and on choosing such a wonderful husband!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #34886 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic One day post op
Flo,

I'm so proud of you! You are doing absolutely wonderfully and great progress so far. It is something we don't often mention but have found to be the case a lot of times: Spouses sometimes get even closer than they thought possible. Spouses are going through everything at the same time as we did and they have a whole other set of issues that they are concerned with. Knowing they have our back is great feeling.

It continues through the healing. I'm sure your husband is pretty darn excited that the surgery was succesful and that you are going to be a couple for many years to come.

Keep up the great recovery!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 months ago #34884 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic One day post op
Flo... Thanks for sharing your cute story about your husband and Mom. Having a loving support network makes such a difference in being able to face these challenges head on. I just have to say, you are amazing. I know these last days have been so very physically and emotionally difficult, but you have handled them with courage and grace. My best wishes for continued steady progress in your healing and well-being.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

13 years 4 months ago #34883 by Flo
Replied by Flo on topic One day post op
Thanks guys for all the comments and I did report it as soon as i saw it the day shift nurse did not log it but i mentioned it to the night shift nurse and she was much more attentive then the day nurse. It does amaze me the night nurse that i had was so wonderful even at 230 this morning when i crashed and burned crying like a baby hurting and just not sure what to do and my husband was so upset because he did not know what to do she was so helpful, kind, patient and seemed generally concerned in getting me comfortable stood there and had me hit my PC pump several times it was too early for a full dose of pain meds and the night nurses split the whole floor between 2 and (she was so very busy i felt bad for her trying to get everyone taken care of but she was not short with anyone) where the day nurses split whole floor between 4. Now today my day nurse is wonderful also

so here is how the progress is going:

1. I want to first say my husband has been so wonderful and kind and helpful taking care of me I thank God daily for such a wonderful man in my life. He is also so very funny last night I had a BM and passed gas you would have thought I had accomplished the most amazing feat in the world ran out and told the nurse she said was it a normal BM he was "oh i left it for you to see" :silly: he called my mom I am not sure of the whole conversation but he was laughing like a school girl she was like oh i am so proud of her i knew she could do it that is my baby :woohoo: Anyway back to the subject.

so I have been up and walking several times a day chewing my gum had a BM and passed gas, started flushing pouch on day 2 post op, started tryed to do as much as i could (well hubby and I)knew we were going to go home doing it changing my bandages on my own was on Ice chips day 2 of post op was put on full liquid day 3, lost my PC pump today :unsure: went to PO pain meds one of the residence said i might get to go home tomorrow but the Doc on call this weekend said more like Tuesday, either way they are really happy with my progress. Dont get me wrong it has been a very rough couple of days by far the hardest thing i have ever done and it is not over yet, lots of healing, learning and adjusting so if you are still here I do want to say thanks for all the advice, support and encouragement. I am so glad i found you all before surgery I beleive the information you have given me has truely aided in my healing. Thank you all. And most importantly i want to thank God for carrying me through this part of my journey and i know he will see me through the rest of the way. Thanks again to everyone, flo

13 years 4 months ago #34874 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic One day post op
Flo,

Those sounds are a good thing. Surprising how excited the nurses get when you start passing gas! :) Keep up the good work.

I agree that the likelihood is high on an adhesive being the culprit. I have a problem with some tapes and had a problem with the adhesive they use on nicotine patches. As Pat mentioned, some soaps/cleansers can also be a problem.

DO report it though!!! You want to avoid whatever is causing the reaction.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #34869 by SailorMan
Replied by SailorMan on topic One day post op
The blisters sound like what I've had. In my case its SOME tape and one time, the see thru tape-like thing that they put over the IV site. Generally, I'm OK with most of the tape but there is one type that definitely causes blisters on me and it is a semi translucent (not quite see thru) tape with kind of a bumpy or pebbled surface. at my hospital, it seemed to be the favorite of the lab techs who draw blood at like 4 or 5 AM when you aren't awake enough to notice. Since we figured it out, it was always in the nursing orders when I checked in (thank you hopsital computer) but the lab people don't see that when they are taking the samples.

I also had the same blister reaction to the type of butterfly closure that my sureon used to close up my laparscopic gallbladder removal last March.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne