Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two

17 years 1 month ago #3766 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
NH I have to agree with skypilot on this matter. But I had the poke and peek first and then the Ct Scan. The poke and peek is where they saw my tumor which was on the larger size. Then they did the Ct Scan of the abodomen to get a more specific view of the whole area. I don't have the report in front of me now but there were no stones and they did see a mass which in my case was the tumor. Now I had just gotten over a left hip replacement and bam this. The (prothesis) the ceramic hip and femur they used to replace the hip I no longer had it was destroyed just bone against bone was blocking some of the view they wanted to see. So then they sent me for an MRI to get a better read. I am an x-trucker so I always had back pain but now it was worst and I am no Dr but severe back pain can be one of several things. I wish you the best on what ever is going on here. Best Wishes, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #3742 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
Wendy..yes it is possible to do laproscopic surgery if you have a surgeon that does laproscopic surgery.......there is quite a war that goes on between old school surgeons and laproscopic surgeons! I have a cousin who has polycystic kidney disease and she never had any symptoms..it showed up when she went in for a hysterectomy. I just hope they made a determination on the questionable cyst??...but they could definately biopsy it laproscopically if need be. I would recommend a major hospital center most definately. Right now successful repair of the aneurism of the right ascending aorta is of first importance. He didn't say at what juncture the bulging was....abdominal or chest? They certainly could do a look see on the kidney while making the repair i would think?

17 years 1 month ago #3729 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
Major curveballs indeed, sorry to hear about the complications. Please let us know what the uro has to say about the last scan.

Would it be possible to do laparoscopic surgery for any kidney cysts, down the road after you've healed? It's supposedly much easier to recover from compared to abdominal surgery, though not all that much shorter regarding time in the O.R.

All the best,
Wendy

17 years 1 month ago #3681 by NH_Male
Replied by NH_Male on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
Sorry its taken me so long to write again, but we have been dealing with some major curveballs the past week or so.

Here is the update:

A couple of weeks ago my Urologist ordered a CT scan with no contrast because he was looking for kidney stones. He did not find any kidney stones, but found two growths, one on each kidney. He called me in for a visit, and checked my urine, my prostate, my privates, etc. All seemed normal. He said that the growth on my right kidney was a harmless cyst. The one on my left was a little more bothersome. He said it looked solid, and he wanted to have a closer look. But he added, "If I was a betting man, I would bet this was a cyst too, since you seem asymptomatic. I just want a closer look."

Then he asked me a strange question:

"How long has it been since you had an echo on your heart?" I said about a year or so, which is a normal wait in between echos. Why? He said he noticed something about my ascending aorta that my cardiologist should know about. (I had aortic valve replacement in 1991)-- anyway, I called my cardio and he ordered a CT scan. I was able to combine both CT scans for the same appointment.

I went in for the CT scan this past Friday morning. By Friday afternoon, my cardiologist called me with the bad news: My ascending aorta was dilated to 6cm and I need surgery, very quickly.

Still no word from the Urologist on the scan results from Friday, but I am comforted by his "betting man" analogy. Who knows what he will say.

At this point my main concern has become my heart.

In any case, he never mentioned seeing anything in my bladder from the first CT without contrast. He only focused on my kidneys. Today, my bleeding began again and so did my lower abdominal pain.

At 37, it officially feels like my body is falling apart.

I alerted the university that I will be leaving very soon for the open heart surgery.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

17 years 1 month ago #3505 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
It sure really sounds like a stone now....well thats no fun either. You may have more than one and actually passed one with the bloody first symptoms. I hope you make it over the weekend without drugs if it gets any worse...i don't understand all the delays?
And thanks for the laugh...the image of you in the urinal .... priceless!!
And don't hesitate for a minute if the pain really gets bad to head back to that E.R....Pat

17 years 1 month ago #3503 by NH_Male
Replied by NH_Male on topic Not diagnosed yet, but a question or two
No, Pat, although I tried. The thing is, this happened in a urinal in the men's room on campus. I am a college professor, happened to be in the library when I had to go, went, saw the thing in my urine and then started trying to fish it out.

So there I was in a public urinal in the library on campus where I teach trying to fish out a tiny spec. I thought that if one of my students, hell, any student walked in, I would make the school paper, the authorities would be called, and I would be on You Tube... so I stopped.

Anyway, my Uro changed the appt to Thursday evening with a meeting on Monday first thing. So I have to wait over the weekend.

In any case tonight a new symptom showed up: Lower left back pain and soreness, with a huge feeling of nausea. At this point, at the risk of self-diagnosing, it seems to have taken a turn towards a stone. Won't know for sure till later this week.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne