BCG -- is it really an option?

13 years 6 months ago #34191 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
Kimberly,

You have a GREAT attitude. The 2nd TURB is just to be sure there is no mucsle involvement. You probably are way ahead on the curve on figured that out. My URO as well as many other posters have added BCG cuts down the possibility of it coming back. It certainly beats chemo and it's side effects and I believe immunotherapy such as BCG someday will be the answer to beat cancer.

Lots of hope and positives as I am 2 1/2 years out and many here are further down the road in beating it!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34190 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
oops, sorry ... double post!

13 years 6 months ago #34189 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
Thank you, everyone! Cynthia, my husband and I will get busy checking out all these links, and I promise a more detailed report on Italy. We are having uncharacteristically warm and sunny weather for late September, so let me go play this afternoon (and tomorrow, and the next day ...) and I'll write up a full report when the clouds come back!

13 years 6 months ago #34188 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
First off in the terms a conditions it says you have to post about trips in chit chat when you get back so we can live vicariously through you. Not really but we really like hearing the good stuff also.

Whenever I have to make a treatment decision I research the heck out of it until I know I understand what I am dealing with. Then I ask myself what are my best options that gives me the best chance of beating this thing?

What the National Cancer Institute has to say about it with additional research links

www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/bladder/HealthProfessional/page6

What a maker of BCG has to say about it and its side effects

www.ticebcg.com/Consumer/bladderCancer/index.asp

www.ticebcg.com/Consumer/aboutTice/index.asp

Dr. Lamm is thought to be the father of BCG and there is belief that a reduced dose for some might be affective with fewer side effects. Your Uro could consult with him on it and amounts.

www.bcgoncology.com/drlamm/

Dr. O’Donnell of the University of Iowa does a lot of research on other agents used instead of BCG. Again your Uro could confer with him.

www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/urology/research/bladdercancer/bcginterferonalphastudy.pdf

www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/urology/urologymds/odonnell.html

You are doing the right thing you are being your own best advocate.

I am sure this will get you going but not right now, get out and enjoy the sun shine there is time to figure this out.

Keep us updated

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 6 months ago #34187 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
There are many, many of us here on the Forum who have been through BCG and are doing GREAT. There are moments of being "uncomfortable"...but compared to friends who have had chemo and radiation for other cancers, it is minor. Yes, there are a minority who have a bad time. (Have you read the side effects of any drugs you are taking? SCARY....to the one in a thousand who has the side effect.)

I felt, when diagnosed with CIS, that there was no choice. BCG gave me a good chance of keeping my bladder. Am through with it as of mid-September, doing great, and hope to continue. IMHO, doing nothing is not an option.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 6 months ago #34186 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BCG -- is it really an option?
Ta high grade seems worth the risk of BCG. I tried, but I failed BCG and then it came back and was invasive.

The stats on BCG are pretty good. It works often enough to be worth giving it a shot.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne