Tomorrow is the day....

17 years 2 months ago #3423 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic Tomorrow is the day....
Hi Everyone: Thanks for the well wishes. The BCG went great....but I was scared...blood pressure was high! Held it the full two hours...no liquid from 7 a.m. - BCG started at 1 p.m. Think my Ipod with favorite music helped me get through the time without constantly thinking about having "to go".

Drank 17oz of water on way to Army lodge which took about 1 1/2 hour travel time (arrived about 4:45 p.m.). Drank 16oz Cranberry/Raspberry juice followed by two more 17oz bottles of water before 9 p.m. Used the bleach - couldn't imagine not - just thinking about all those little live "bugs" floating around! So far side effects minimal...have wicked Migraine, but get these all the time anyway and have from slight to moderate bladder discomfort, but nothing remarkable to complain about. No burning, no blood...does this start later?

Thanks again for the responses and talk to you all soon, Sandra

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3414 by wood108
Replied by wood108 on topic Tomorrow is the day....
I went through a Six week BCG treatment this past summer.  During the middle of it, I met the father-in-law of one of my cousins.  He was diagnosed with bladder cancer 10 years ago and has had multiple 6 week BCG treatments as well as maintenence BCG.  He is in his mid 80's and was real nice to talk to.  I asked him about his treatment, side effects, and what he did about bleaching his first few viods.  He told me the his treatments center was about 2 hours away from his home (somewhere in Texas) and he always had to stop at a Walmart on the way home.  When I inquired about bleaching the toilet, he said, "screw them, I never liked Walmart."  Well this had me in stiches and it sure lifted my spirits hearing about an 80 year old man going through the same issues as me without much complaining.  His wife later confessed that he did use bleach, but it made for a very humorous story.  

Sandra, I wish you the best with your treatment and hope the BCG keeps away any more tumors.  I've been clean through two scopes since mine and plan on staying that way.

Regards,
John W

17 years 2 months ago #3407 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic Tomorrow is the day....
Sandra,

My medical center and BCG treatments were also 100 miles away. I stayed the 2 hours in the doctors office for the first treatment, rolling and turning as instructed every 15 minutes. My first urination after the instillation was done at the doctors office and they poured the bleach. My husband and I then checked into nearby hotel with a bleach bottle as the instructions said to pour bleach after each urination for 6 hours. WE did a similar routine with the remaining 5 instillations. Later, however, a very prominent Doctor on web cafe disputed the need for bleach. I don't know if that is still the current requirement. The bleach part was the biggest hassle when we decided on the 2nd round of BCG treatments 8 months later to commute home after the treatment. Drive along the interstate, stop at a rest stop, bring my bleach bottle, not let anyone in the stall for 15 minutes (the bleach was suppose to sit with the urine for 15 minutes before flushing). I was very conscientious of the instructions and procedure. I wonder, though, how many really are.

17 years 2 months ago #3402 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Tomorrow is the day....
Good Luck Sandra, God Bless, Joe

17 years 2 months ago #3398 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Tomorrow is the day....
Best of luck!

17 years 2 months ago #3396 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Tomorrow is the day....
Sandra,

Good luck. Make sure you have a bottle of bleach on hand for the toilet. :-X

Let us know how it goes. Lots of us have been where you are now.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne