My PSA had increased

13 years 7 months ago #33900 by Jerry X
Replied by Jerry X on topic My PSA had increased
Thanks Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33895 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic My PSA had increased
I forgot to mention--if you go home with a catheter in, get some Surgilube (TM) or similar stuff (NOT vaseline or other petrolium based lubricants). Put that around the hose in the place it enters the body and for a few inches or so along the hose from there. This keeps the hose from getting hung up on your penis and allows it to move without discomfort.

Here's a link to the stuff I'm talking about. Pretty much any drug store should have it. tinyurl.com/2bwdfsn

I didn't have this stuff the first couple of days and I can tell you without a doubt that the normal growing and shrinking along that damn catheter hose was very uncomfortable. It would wake me up at night!:blush: :blink: Way worse than the burning when peeing.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33894 by mmc
Jerry,

It's possible. If there is any way you can plan to work from home on Monday, that may be a safer bet.

I had catheter in for a few days after my first one. No catheter (even when I first woke up from the TURBT) on my second one.

For my first one, I had it on a Wednesday and was working from home on Thursday and Friday with the catheter. However, I was working for myself then and it was pretty slow at the time. Just responding to email and doing some business development planning and that type of thing.

After the second one, had it on Tuesday, I was back to work the next day from home and on a plane to a client site the following Monday.

Age 54

13 years 7 months ago #33893 by Jerry X
Mike. I am scheduled to have it at Jefferson at the moment. I am waiting to hear from U of P.

I am having it done on a Friday and was thinking I would be able to go back to work on Monday. I have a desk job so I will be able to sit all day. What was your experience? Am I being realistic thinking I can go back the following Monday.

13 years 7 months ago #33892 by mmc
Jerry,

Recovery after a TURBT all depends on how much the surgeon has to do.

Sometimes, you go home with a catheter in for a day or a few days. Other times, the catheter is out and you just take some meds to keep the bladder from hurting (such as pyridium aka phenazopyridine or similar) and some antibiotics to prevent infection.

You can (very likely) experience burning and frequency issues for a day or a few days (again depends on how much the surgeon has to do). The pyridium helps with that and it also turns your urine BRIGHT orange.

There can be some bleeding and some clots and this is normal.

Avoid lifting or straining during bowel movements as it increases pressure on the bladder and you want to be kind to your bladder while it is healing. Often recommended to avoid sexual activity. All of these are for around 3 to 4 weeks but different doctors recommend different things.
Increasing fiber with something like metamucil or taking a stool softener is sometimes recommended to ensure no straining on your part for bowel movements.

Are you going to get the TURBT done at U or P? They can give you a pretty good idea of what recovery will be like based on the size and location of the tumor.

This is usually done on an outpatient basis but you should have somebody around in case you have any problems.

They should give you a paper with all the things to watch out for afterward (e.g. chills, fever, etc.) and what to call the doctor about when you leave the hospital.

Mike

Age 54

13 years 7 months ago #33890 by Jerry X
I placed a call into the Doctor at UofP so here's hoping I get an appoinment soon.
Another question, what can I expect after the TURB?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne