Post-op appointment with Nurse Practitioner?

13 years 7 months ago #33740 by GKLINE
Kimberly
Congratulations on the successful Turbt(we find the strangest things to support, don't we?)
My wife and I ALWAYS see the nurse practitioner and the urologist. But we get sooo much more info from the practitioner. One time we had an appointment and we could only see the Dr. My wife's first words to the Dr. were "Where is Kyle?" The Dr. seemed a little disappointed that he was second choice.
Now, when we go in, we see Both folks and they seem to vie for attention. My urologist knows me as the guy that wouldn't let him out of the room until I gave him the reasons why he should save my life. He still remembers a car dealer giving HIM the what for.

Good luck Kimberly. We are all behind you, and we know there are some very good reasons for YOUR Dr. to save your life! You are doing fine and you will get through this very well indeed.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #33738 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Post-op appointment with Nurse Practitioner?
Fitz,
even with a Ta tumor it is standard to do a re-TURB within 6 weeks of the first. Residual tumor or margins that are not clean show up in 37 to 75% of cases..depending on where you had your TURB done. Here is one paper...and there are many more.
tinyurl.com/272jm3v
pat

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33727 by mmc
Fitz,

For low grade they often just do cystos after the TURB. If there is a recurrence, then they typically start talking about BCG or some other treatment. Remember that low grade is very slow growing so as long as they are monitoring you on a regular basis, things should be just fine.

Mike

Expectant Management of Small, Recurrent, Noninvasive Papillary Bladder Tumors, Soloway et al.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33726 by mmc
Yuck! That would certainly be a long day. I always prefer the super early appointments for any surgery. Rather get up at oh dark thirty and get it over with.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33725 by Kimberly
Replied by Kimberly on topic Post-op appointment with Nurse Practitioner?
Fitz,
My tumor was high grade, so the doctor suggested the second TURBT.

13 years 7 months ago #33724 by fitz
I had a TURBT and they found two areas with low grade cancer but the follow-up is a Cysto 3 months later. Thought that was normal. Surprised to hear about 5 week plan.

Fitz

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne