Three part video series on TURBT procedure.

13 years 6 months ago #33728 by fitz
GREAT VIDEO!

Fitz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #33723 by mmc
Thanks George!

Actually, I watched video bits about neobladder surgery before I got mine. That stuff doesn't gross me out and it is interesting to me.

Don't worry, I won't post those here!!! :D

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 6 months ago #33718 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Three part video series on TURBT procedure.
All I can say is, I'm glad I saw this AFTER I had the procedure. And I'm glad my surgeon saw it Before :laugh:

In sincerity, I thank you Mike, for finding these videos. I am sure there are some who want to know, visually, what the Dr. is doing.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

13 years 6 months ago #33716 by mmc
So...after watching those videos, I'm sure you're all thinking "Hey, that's pretty easy. I could do that at home myself and save some money!".... :D OK, maybe not.

However, you would be surprised how much skill it actually takes do those surgeries, yes even the TURBT, correctly.

It takes tremendous skill and experience to get right and get good margins.

Just take a look at this paper for how often people were understaged in this study of 214 consecutive patients. Clinical understaging study

Stein et al. found that 43% of 1054 patients, thought to have clinically confined tumors, were understaged and Ficcaro et al. found that 70% of what were thought to be T2 or less were understaged in study of 140 patients who had cystectomies. From the book: Bladder Cancer: Diagnosis, Therapeutics, and Management By Cheryl Lee, David P. Wood Reference page 56

and a University of Michigan study: Bladder cancer staging

These studies demonstrate a couple of things to me, the untrained researcher of miscellaneous stuff about bladder cancer, and that is: First, you want the most skilled surgeon you can find and second, you always want to get a reTURBT.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from the data, and let me know if you feel my conclusions are wrong.

Mike

Age 54

13 years 6 months ago #33706 by mmc
Folks,

Rather than post all of these individually, I am giving the link to the website.

This is a 3 part series instructional video for urologists on TURBTs.

So if you want to know lots of stuff about the procedure, what they need to be careful of, how they do it, what a tumor looks like, etc. this is pretty cool.

If you don't want to know this stuff, then don't watch. :)

Shows all of the tools, shows when to use what type of loop (that little metal wire looking thing you see in the videos that gets electrified to use as a cutting tool).

One thing to note. In the 3rd video it sounds like the narrrator is saying left and right urethral orifice. He's not. He is saying 'uretal'. You only have one urethra so there is no left and right and besides that, the camera is going through the urethra into the bladder. They check that out while they are going in to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

I saw a couple of my own cystos on the TV monitor and it was kind of cool. When I saw mine though it was all looking good. This shows what the tumors look like in case you ever wondered. My second time seeing the cystoscopy was looking inside my neobladder and that looks nothing like a bladder on the inside! :) NO, these videos are not me. :blink:

TURBT video series

Once you get to the page, scroll down till you see the links to the three files (they are mpg files) and then click each one in series.

The tabs at the top of the page can take you to the abstract that describes everything. It asks for a sign in if you want to read the full article but the abstract doesn't require that. I didn't create an account so I don't know if costs money to get the full article. You will have to check that out yourself if you are interested.

Mike

Age 54

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne