Having bladder tumor removed next week :( ??

13 years 7 months ago #33624 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Having bladder tumor removed next week :( ??
It may be several days before the path report comes back, and most docs are pretty careful not to say much until they see it in writing. Please try to stay calm....he knows how upset you are and will get back to you as soon as he can.

Remember, that the uro is looking at your bladder through a scope...sort of like TV...so he really isn't looking at the bladder directly.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #33619 by Tom1949
Replied by Tom1949 on topic Having bladder tumor removed next week :( ??
So they take the tumor out tomorrow. Will they know anything immediately from what they see or will I know knothing unril the biopsy results come back most likely a few (how many normally??) days later.

Been a long week waiting feel like dead man walking/numb :( Not a fun wait at all.

Any help appreciated. Thanks bucnches and god bless all of you for your help. Tom

13 years 7 months ago #33567 by mmc
Tom

As Sara Anne said, the pathology report is the thing that will tell you what you need to know. First, is it even cancer or not. In other words are you worrying yourself into a frenzy over nothing? Next, if it is cancer. Is it low grade (very slow growing) or high grade (aggressive). Then, is it just on the inner lining or has it gone into the inner lining or into the muscle.

There are different treatment plans based on those answers.

As far as questions for the doc at this stage, probably: do you think I will have a catheter in when I wake up?

After surgery he will tell your wife and you what he found and if they did any quick biopsies during the surgery.

I know it is hard but try not to do a million what if things now. If you want to explore some of them, you can read through a bunch of the newly diagnosed threads to see what others have discussed.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33566 by mmc
Tom

I know it is pretty scary but that tumor did not just pop into existence the other day. A couple of weeks is not long and won't make much difference.

Try to get some sleep now. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33565 by Tom1949
Replied by Tom1949 on topic Having bladder tumor removed next week :( ??
I laid awake last night thinking I should have had the tumor removed the day after they found it instead having to wait a week etc. Can an extra week or two be the difference between life and death I want it out. Is time a big factor or is it slow growing etc

13 years 7 months ago #33558 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Having bladder tumor removed next week :( ??
Hi again, Tom. Most of the questions can only be answered after the pathology report comes back. The first that come to my mind are: a. was the tumor malignant, and, if so, what type was present (ie, papillary, and was there any sign of CIS ..carcinoma in situ?)and what stage and grade was it? b. was the tumor totally on the bladder surface, or had it progressed into the lining or the muscle? c. what are the treatment recommendations and why?

With this information, you will have a better idea of what you might be facing, and what additional questions you need to ask.

Keep your spirits up...hard, I know. But remember that IF it is bladder cancer, this is a very treatable disease in most cases.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne