a little confused,shocked and scared

17 years 2 months ago #3603 by staceyjani
Replied by staceyjani on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
hi guys thanks for all your thoughts. I am also relieved but I do have a question. I seem to have pain when I urinate and some bladder discomforts. I know a week ago when the dr took the stents out he said I could get an infection,I supppose I should check in with that but does anyone remember after the surgery if they had any bladder pains or painful urination? I dont mean to be blunt here at all but Iv'e been intimate with my husband twice since surgery,,I dont know if that is it or what. I had bladder spasms for a few days after surgery and was on pain meds and I thought I was recovering very well ..I think maybe I've felt kind of icky now for 3 days,, I mean upon urination. how is everyone else feeling? and I hope it's ok weather your way. I know we hit the deep freeze this way. many best wishes.. I wont forget u guys and visit when I can.

Stacey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3496 by bigsis
Replied by bigsis on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
Hi Stacey,
I'm so relieved and happy for you--no cancer!  That's such great news!  I'm so glad you've been able to keep us updated.  Hope your pain subsides soon!

Blessings to you and your family!

17 years 2 months ago #3457 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
When I was having babies many years ago, I remember friends having what was then called "saddle block" which is a shot in the back now called epidural. Many, many of them complained about terrible migrain headaches. The name may have changed but the problem of headache continues for many. I just learned of a technique that is prevelent in other countries but not so much in USA. Laser out of the growth with just a local anesthetic. I realize this best done once a few biopisies have been done to confirm the bladder cancer to be low grade. This is an interesting article I found. www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2004.04882.x/full/?cookieSet=1

17 years 2 months ago #3454 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
I found this on the Web.  Evidently the headache occurance can be caused by both, skill of the anesthesiologist and patient individuality.  It is caused by a puncture in the dura.

"What can be done about the
headache?

The hole in the dura will usually mend itself in a
number of weeks but it can take longer.
Lying flat and taking simple pain relieving drugs
(such as paracetamol and ibuprofen) may help.
You should drink plenty of fluid (some
people find tea, coffee or cola especially
helpful) and avoid lifting and straining.
A severe post dural puncture headache will
often need to be treated by an ‘epidural
blood patch’.
Being given a blood patch is like having an
epidural and takes about half an hour.
The anaesthetist will take your blood and inject
it near the hole in the dura where it will clot,
forming the blood patch. This will tend to plug
the hole.
A blood patch will usually cure the headache
within 24 hours. After this period, if you still
have a headache, it may be worth repeating the
blood patch once more. It is very rare to need
more than two blood patches. Your
anaesthetist will discuss this with you.
After a blood patch, we recommend that you
lie flat in bed for 4 hours and do not lift
anything heavy for at least two days."

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 2 months ago #3453 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
Yes, I certainly do see the potential problem.

I've had 4 epidurals in my life and had smooth aend easy experiences.  I guess I had good anesthesiologists.  I certainly paid them enough ;D    I remember the nurse would always sit by me and lay me back down if I started to raise my head too soon.

Anyway, you still can't convince me (for myself) that General is better.  

But perhaps, since I've never experienced a migraine either, it is just a matter of individual differences.  

With regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 2 months ago #3452 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic a little confused,shocked and scared
Now Rosemary you see why i hate epidurals....it all depends on the skill of the anesthesiologist....if he hits the wrong area which mine did and then has to go back in a second time with that l0 ft. needle........my internist said he hit the muscle which resulted in the back aches which went on for some time. I also got the killer migraines and got in a situation where i was then getting rebound headaches from the codeine and that solution is to wean off the codeine slowly and then stop....they will subside...i remember smaller headaces but took tylenol and then weaned off of that. I then went into physical therapy for the back which took about 6 weeks of exercises. Both were killers but there is a light over the horizon. Ask your doc how to wean off the painkillers.
I don't know why you're having pain tho in your bladder....maybe the stents?....i never had any pain with any of my TUR's but i was treated at a major cancer center in NYC ...cath only stayed in until my urine ran clear which was about l5 mins after i woke up and then i had to pee and then i walked out of the place caught a cab and went back to the hotel.
I wish you the best. I wonder if your doc can give you some peridium for the pain in the bladder?....Definately call him......Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne