Mom just diagnosed and already in poor health

13 years 8 months ago #32873 by BarbN
Had slides reviewed and confirmed muscle invasion and squamous cell differentiation.

Also, looks like it may have already spread to bone. she cannot have MRI due to pacemaker so weaiting to hear if there is another test.
not really sure it makes a difference at this point. We are focusing on quality. Goal is to get her home and having as much fun as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #32822 by BarbN
thanks, I followed link and this doc is at UMASS Med in Worcester. It also is a great hospital and about an hour from Boston. so a good alternative to MGH.
Went to oncologist yesterday at local hosp. and he basically gave us no hope. once again after reviewing mom's medical history he did not feel she was candidate for surgery. that now makes 3 docs. one of whom I trust completely (her pcp).
radtiation is option and we met with radiologist(?)to discuss radiation treatments and he was not much help either. said radiation will not offer much more than controlling bleeding and could cause worse side effects. I am requesting her slides be reviewed by another pathologist to start. but I also don't think she would fair well with major surgery. they gave her about a year

13 years 9 months ago #32799 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Mom just diagnosed and already in poor health
Barb...just found out that Dr. Michael Blute formerly of the Mayo Clinic has gone to Mass. General to head up surgery in the uro dept. He has fabulous credentials and if you can get your mother in to see him that would be great.
www.umassmemorial.org/MedicalCenterIP.cfm?id=5242
finally they have someone there who can do surgery and reconstruction. Cynthia this might be a good answer for you also.
pat

13 years 9 months ago #32769 by BarbN
thank you both for the information. We just got back from bone scan and I had a long talk with mom explaning what you both said. She has not said no so I will call and request a consult.
will let you know how we make out.
thanks again and I am so glad I found this site.

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #32760 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Mom just diagnosed and already in poor health
Pat is right I was a part of the bladder sparing protocol at MGH. Following this post is the link to the Claire & John Bertucci Center for Genitourinary Cancers and call them and ask how you could have a review of your mother’s case by their multi disciplinary team.

With patients that cannot withstand surgery or chemotherapy I have read research studies that they have extended life using TURBT and in some cases radiation.

Let us know what they decide to do so we can know for the next person that comes here with a like question.

If for some reason this does not work for you let us know and I will give you some other choices.

www.mgh.harvard.edu/cancer/services/treatmentprograms.aspx?id=1198

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 9 months ago #32741 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Mom just diagnosed and already in poor health
Barb...he may well have got it all but its pretty standard to do a repeat TURB in 3 to 6 weeks after the first just to make sure nothing seeded and all margins gotten. I suppose if you must stay in Boston..that Mass General would be the place to get the repeat TURB..Dr. Olumi
www.massgeneral.org/urology/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=17314
Dr. McGovern
www.mgh.harvard.edu/urology/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=16733
I hope Cynthia chimes in here as she is familiar with Mass General better than i am.
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne