family members with bc

13 years 9 months ago #32266 by Alan

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32245 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic family members with bc
My brother had BC - 6 yr survivor with neo - I had BC (2 yrs 8 month survivor)
Neither parent had BC - both parents smoked, brother and I both smoked - I quit 20 yrs ago.
Lived in steel town for 60 yrs.

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

13 years 10 months ago #32244 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic family members with bc
I had it (1 year survivor)
Dad died from it
Dad's dad died from it.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 years 10 months ago #32241 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic family members with bc
My parents didn't smoke and I don't either, nor does my husband, but my brother and nephew both smoked, My brother quit when he found out . I don't if my nephew has quit or not. Rocky

13 years 10 months ago #32233 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic family members with bc
Time magazine had a great article in the January 2010 issue that talked about our "Epigenetics"

It talked about the fact that we may not do anything to develop a cancer, but our parents may have and therefore passed that down to us in our genes.

When I read the post from Pemquid and her father, it made me think of the article and I will need to pull that back out again.

Title is: Why genes aren't destiny. Summary says that the new field of epigenetics is showing how your environment and your choices can influence your genetic code--and then that of your kids.

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

13 years 10 months ago #32229 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic family members with bc
My dad had bladder cancer, but he was an older male smoker (typical profile); I was diagnosed with bladder cancer at a younger age than he had been, and I've never smoked but was exposed to a lot of second-hand smoke growing up with 2 smoking parents in a small NYC apartment. Dad lived to be 84 and died of lung cancer unrelated to the bladder cancer (though of course smoking was a common denominator in both).

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne