How long ot return to normal, age 50, cystectomy

13 years 10 months ago #32163 by Humpy
mmc wrote:
LOL..........back plus 10!!!!! But i quit smoking as well.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32162 by mmc
As Jim said, a couple of months to get appetite back and start feeling pretty good. Around 5-6 months to be fully recovered.

Be very careful of weights of any kind. Unless your surgery was done laperoscoply, you have a pretty big incision. It's not that you will tear the incision, but the chance of a hernia along the incision area is very high.

Walking, walking, and walking are three very good exercises. Just about anything you lift is going to cause some amount of tension on the abdominal area and you just want to be careful.

The weight typically comes back over time, even if you didn't want it to.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #32161 by Andy
Hi Red -

Jim is right, the appetite takes a while to come back. I 'm almost 3 months post op and it took my digestive system 6 weeks to get fairly normal again. I've I can eat pretty much anything, just in smaller quantities. I'd be surprised if you get cleared to lift much, I was 7 weeks before I could. Lots of walking though - over 2 miles a day right now. Things do get better, you're at slow point right now. 2 weeks ago my wife and I traveled for the first time and right now I'm in Indianapolis watching time trials for the 500. Life will get back to normal!
Best of Luck and keep asking questions.

Andy

13 years 10 months ago #32159 by Humpy
Red, I lost 23 lbs. It took me a couple months before my appetite
came back.

I would be walking all you can, even though you still have a catheter in for two more weeks.

Just be patient, i know it really sucks right now. Time is standing still currently.

I am a year post op now, and can't believe how fast time went.

Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #32158 by FarRed
I had my cystectomy and neobladder just over two weeks ago. Over the last two months, along with two TURBTs, I lost 20 of my 160 pounds. I'm struggling to get my appetite back, which I guess is a result of my body recovering from major surgery and the pain killers.

What is your experience of how long it takes for the pain to go away and appetite to return to normal? I have a followup with my doctor in two days and am hoping he say I can do some sort of exercise, maybe some light weights.

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne