Mike\'s crazy theory on BPH and Bladder cancer

14 years 1 month ago #30342 by pemquid
Mike--

I don't think that theory is so crazy at all! Part of the problem with looking at the relationship of retention/bladder cancer from a statistical point of view is that so many men have BPH that it is highly likely that almost all men "of a certain age" who develop bladder cancer are also likely to have BPH (and of ocurse a lot of people with BPH don't ever get bladder cancer). I've never had retention problems, but I've kind of wondered if my tendency to "wait" a long time before going might have been a risk factor. Moral of the story: go when yuo have to and flush out those carcinogens (unless of course if you have an enlarged prostate and can't empty completely. I really feel for the guys!)

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #30331 by mmc
Did you have enlarged prostate issues prior to bladder cancer?

Actually, calling all guys who have or have had bladder cancer, did you have enlarged prostate prior to getting bladder cancer and did it affect frequency and completeness of voiding?

..and calling all women, did you have any urinary retention issues prior to having bladder cancer?

I sent a note to my surgeon (at a bladder cancer center teaching hospital) about doing a study.

My theory is that people who have urine retention issues (don't always void completely) are at higher risk.

The study I saw on the link of BPH is flawed (IMHO). They indicated that there was a higher incidence of bladder cancer in patients who had a TURP. Kind of like it's the TURP's fault. My theory is that the people who get a TURP are the ones who are fed up with the urinary frequency and urgency issues and therefore they have the type of BPH that constricts the urethra.

Therefore, men with BPH that constricts the urethra should be more vigilant about other symptoms and more closely watched by a urologist OR should be treated for that condition sooner in order to reduce the increased risk of bladder cancer. That could prevent some occurences and cause others to be caught sooner.

Again, my point is that it is the lack of complete voiding on a regular basis (regardless of the cause but in men the primary cause is BPH) is the true culprit. Lack of complete voiding means that any and all carcinogens, that the body tries to filter out, sit in the bladder exposing its surface to higher concentrations of carcinogens for longer periods of time.

I know I had about two years of UTIs that were not UTIs prior to finally being diagnosed. Had I been informed by my GP that having the type of BPH I had could increase bladder cancer risk and that if I got unexplained UTIs....

Do we have any urologists that act advisors to ABLCS? If so, maybe we can give them the same idea for a study. I think this could actually do some good for some people in the future. Of course, I could very well be wrong. Lord knows it has happended before . But, that's the reason for scientific studies under controlled conditions. To prove this kind of thing to be right or wrong.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne