Brand new here, with a stupid question.

14 years 2 months ago #30301 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
Maybe I should have said it differently:

Smoking is the single greatest risk factor for bladder cancer. Smokers have more than twice the risk of developing bladder cancer as nonsmokers.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 2 months ago #30300 by StarraeAday1
Replied by StarraeAday1 on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
You guys are awesome, and I REALLY appreciate the warm welcome. :) I guess I'll have to blow the smoking thing out of the water. While I have consumed some marijuana in my life, I've never smoked cigarettes. My parents smoked, and my husband used to but has quit now. So I guess it could be the second-hand thing. Wow, I always joked with my husband that while he was the one smoking, I'd probably end up with the cancer. Self-fulfilling prophecy much? LOL Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's advice and kind words. It's still very scary, but I don't feel as scared as I did before I found this place. :P

14 years 2 months ago #30299 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
...and SOMETIMES some people get it for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I have a personal theory (no data whatsoever to back it up) that men with BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or more simply, enlarged prostate) have an even higher risk. My reasoning is that while frequency and urgency are often increased by BPH, the bladder doesn't get all the way empty due to the pressure on the urethra from the prostate.

The body tries to filter carcinogens and other nasty stuff from the body by expelling it along with waste products.

Therefore, any and all carcinogens (be they from smoking, eating bacon, various nitrites, various chemicals, air/water/food impurities, etc.) are exposed to the bladder wall for longer periods of time. Over time, this increased exposure increases the risk of developing bladder cancer.

So...if my theory holds true, if men took action to correct BPH earlier, there were be fewer incidents of bladder cancer.

It's also my thought for one contributing factor (there are more) to why more men get bladder cancer than women.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 2 months ago #30298 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
I would like to add that while smoking is a major cause just like with all cancers there are other factors to be considered.

Water quality, (arsenic and solvent levels)

Occupations like: Firefighting, hair dressers, people that work with solvents (Tech assembly lines, mechanics etc.

What state you live in (Florida seems to have one of the highest rates due to some water issues. Some states have known bladder cancer clusters.

Not saying that smoking is not a cause, but would love to see someone actually study the causes instead of sticking the smoking label on and calling it good. I have talked to many that have never smoked and still get bladder cancer. :dry:

Webs

14 years 2 months ago #30296 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
Rockyiss wrote:
Smoking is the #1 cause of bladder cancer. See what 33 years of smoking pleasure got me??? Coming up on one year of being smoke free. It's too bad it took BC to get me to quit.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

14 years 2 months ago #30295 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Brand new here, with a stupid question.
Hi Starr , the only dumb question is the one not asked. So ask away !
My brother was forty when they found a single papillarytumor , it came back four times and they removed it after that he had no ins. so he just didn,t go back for ten years. When he finally got checked there was no sign of bladder cancer. The Dr taken it out four times seemed to do the trick.
As to why you got it may I ask do u smoke? Does someone smoke around you. !Smoking is a known bladder cancer cause. So if you smoke, quit! Goodluck you are in our prayers Rocky

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne