Should I be worried?

17 years 2 months ago #3161 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Should I be worried?
See a urologist.......get a CT scan......just like ovarian cancer upper gastrointestional problems seem to be present with bladder cancer.....its one of the constants i've found talking to other bladder cancer patients. I've made it my quest to actually try to find some answers here as the typical doctor asks if you've been around dyes...cigarettes...and a host of other things none of us have. My bladder cancer was overlooked for 3 years...a wonder i'm alive huh?........they all dismissed the blood in my urine. Take charge......and get a great urologist......or if you have a major cancer center nearby ...GO. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #2942 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Should I be worried?
Mike is right, urine cytology (I hope he ordered cytology but that's usually a urologist's job, not a GE's) misses most low grade cancers. The fact you had intermittent blood in the urine is a good reason to see a urologist. Most doctors (especially the men, I think) don't worry about it too much when women have blood in the urine because they figure blc is 'rare' in women. The truth is that 3 times and many men get blc as women, but the rates of women with blc is almost as high as ovarian cancer, which is not considered rare!

Due to many factors, women are often diagnosed at a higher stage than men, probably because of delays in diagnosis. So it's important to rule out bladder cancer whenever there's been obvious blood in the urine, and that almost always means a scope, which means a urologist has to be involved.

Keep in touch,.
Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #2916 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Should I be worried?
You might want to see a urologist for a cystoscopic exam anyway. Not everything shows up in urine tests.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

17 years 3 months ago #2859 by Karin
Replied by Karin on topic Should I be worried?
Thanks for the replies, Rosemary and Wendy! I went and saw my gastroenterologist for a completely different problem (heartburn) and he offered to put in an order for a battery of urine tests, so I did that today. I guess that's the first step.... Hopefully, it will be nothing, but if not, I want to know ASAP!

Karin

17 years 3 months ago #2855 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Should I be worried?
Rosemary is right, please get an appt asap, and rule out bladder cancer. Most blood in the urine is from other causes than blc, but blood in the urine is also the most common symptom for blc.

Please drop a line when you get a diagnosis - hopefully this is stones or an ongoing infection or some other benign condition.
Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #2854 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Should I be worried?
Karin,

Can you just make an appointment or go through your GP to get an appointment with a Urologist?
It wouldn't hurt at all to get this checked out further.  Not to scare you, but I was 53 last year when I was diagnosed with BC.  I thought (as I had been Uro cleared) that my blood in the toilet was vaginal.
Not so!!

If everything is negative, then , at least your mind will be eased.

Good luck!  Please keep us posted.

Rosemary
Ta G2
Dx 01/2006

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne